Bureaucratic Delays and Constraints on Growth
The aim of this paper is twofold. Firstly, applying the “Ease of doing business” World Bank indicator, the article analyses the impact of economic regulation on growth in a cross section of about 150 countries in the period 1990-2004. Secondly, the article examines the relationship between regulation and the underlying legal origins in the various countries. According to our estimations, economic regulation is correlated with economic growth, in the sense that growth is, on average, faster in the countries with more business-friendly regulation (as measured by the above-mentioned indicator). Confirming a finding of the literature, we ascertain a negative correlation between civil law origins and regulation. Finally, we briefly discuss the relevance of legal origins as instrumental variables for economic regulation.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Busse, Matthias & Groizard, Jose Luis, 2006.
"Foreign direct investment, regulations, and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3882, The World Bank.
- Antonio Ciccone & Marek Jarocinski, 2010.
"Determinants of Economic Growth: Will Data Tell?,"
1009, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Ciccone, Antonio & Jarocinski, Marek, 2007. "Determinants of Economic Growth: Will Data Tell?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6544, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ciccone, Antonio & Jarociński, Marek, 2008. "Determinants of economic growth: will data tell?," Working Paper Series 0852, European Central Bank.
- Antonio Ciccone & Marek Jarocinski, 2007. "Determinants of economic growth: Will data tell?," Economics Working Papers 1052, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 2009.
- Marek Jarocinski & Antonio Ciccone, 2009. "Determinants of Economic Growth: Will Data Tell?," Working Papers 2009-36, FEDEA.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Melvyn Weeks, 2007.
"Jointness of Growth Determinants,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1978, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pritchett, Lant, 2000. "Understanding Patterns of Economic Growth: Searching for Hills among Plateaus, Mountains, and Plains," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 221-50, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0084. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.