Long-Term Memory and Its Evolution in Returns of Stock Index PX Between 1997 and 2009
Long-term memory processes have been extensively examined in recent literature as they provide simple way to test for predictabilty in the underlying process. However, most of the literature interprets the results of estimated Hurst exponent simply by its comparison to its asymptotic limit of 0.5. Therefore, we use moving block bootstrap method for rescaled range and periodogram method. In our analysis of evolution of Hurst exponent between 1997 and 2009, we show that PX experienced persistent behavior which weakened in time. Nevertheless, the returns of PX remain close to confidence interval separating independent and persistent behavior.
Volume (Year): 2010 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Redakce Politické ekonomie, Vysoká škola ekonomická, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/polek/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989.
"Long-term memory in stock market prices,"
3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Couillard, Michel & Davison, Matt, 2005. "A comment on measuring the Hurst exponent of financial time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 348(C), pages 404-418.
- T. Di Matteo, 2007. "Multi-scaling in finance," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 21-36.
- Grech, D & Mazur, Z, 2004. "Can one make any crash prediction in finance using the local Hurst exponent idea?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 336(1), pages 133-145.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2006. "Testing for predictability in equity returns for European transition markets," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 56-78, March.
- Lux, Thomas, 2007.
"Applications of statistical physics in finance and economics,"
Economics Working Papers
2007,05, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Lux, 2007. "Application of Statistical Physics in Finance and Economics," Working Papers wp07-09, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Thomas Lux, 2008. "Applications of Statistical Physics in Finance and Economics," Kiel Working Papers 1425, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Lillo Fabrizio & Farmer J. Doyne, 2004.
"The Long Memory of the Efficient Market,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(3), pages 1-35, September.
- John T. Barkoulas & Christopher F. Baum & Nickolaos Travlos, 1996.
"Long Memory in the Greek Stock Market,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
356., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Rafal Weron, 2001. "Measuring long-range dependence in electricity prices," Papers cond-mat/0103621, arXiv.org.
- Rafal Weron, 2001.
"Estimating long range dependence: finite sample properties and confidence intervals,"
HSC Research Reports
HSC/01/03, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Weron, Rafał, 2002. "Estimating long-range dependence: finite sample properties and confidence intervals," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 312(1), pages 285-299.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
- Karel Janda & Barbora Svárovská, 2009. "Investing into Microfinance Investment Funds," Working Papers IES 2009/32, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Dec 2009.
- Alvarez-Ramirez, Jose & Rodriguez, Eduardo & Carlos Echeverría, Juan, 2005. "Detrending fluctuation analysis based on moving average filtering," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 354(C), pages 199-219.
- Matos, José A.O. & Gama, Sílvio M.A. & Ruskin, Heather J. & Sharkasi, Adel Al & Crane, Martin, 2008. "Time and scale Hurst exponent analysis for financial markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(15), pages 3910-3915.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpol:v:2010:y:2010:i:4:id:742:p:471-487. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.