Combining VAR Forecast Densities Using Fast Fourier Transform
In this paper, I propose the use of fast Fourier transform (FFT) as a convenient tool for combining forecast densities of vector autoregressive models in a hybrid Bayesian manner. While a vast amount of papers comprises combinations based on normal approximations, Monte Carlo methods were fully utilized here, which made the analysis computationally demanding. For the sake of minimization of computational time, the FFT algorithm was used to combine the densities of poorly simulated partial models. As a result, a minor loss of quality in the final combined model was allowed, in contrast with the reduction in the necessary simulation time. However, it turns out in the end that the FFT-based approach exceeds ´brute-force´ simulation in all aspects. The suggested method is demonstrated on an ex ante prediction of the Czech GDP and on a pair of artificial examples.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2010 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Redakce Acta Oeconomica Pragensia, Vysoká škola ekonomická v Praze, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/aop/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert B. Litterman, 1985.
"Forecasting with Bayesian vector autoregressions five years of experience,"
274, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Litterman, Robert B, 1986. "Forecasting with Bayesian Vector Autoregressions-Five Years of Experience," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(1), pages 25-38, January.
- Christian Kascha & Francesco Ravazzolo, 2008.
"Combining inflation density forecasts,"
2008/22, Norges Bank.
- Andersson, Michael K & Karlsson, Sune, 2007.
"Bayesian forecast combination for VAR models,"
Working Paper Series
216, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Mark W. Watson & James H. Stock, 2004. "Combination forecasts of output growth in a seven-country data set," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(6), pages 405-430.
- Ida Wolden Bache & Anne Sofie Jore & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2009.
"Combining VAR and DSGE forecast densities,"
2009/23, Norges Bank.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999.
"Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Tom Doan, . "BKFILTER: RATS procedure to implement band pass filter using Baxter-King method," Statistical Software Components RTS00026, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995. "Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hugo Gerard & Kristoffer Nimark, 2008.
"Combining multivariate density forecasts using predictive criteria,"
Economics Working Papers
1117, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2008.
- Hugo Gerard & Kristoffer Nimark, 2008. "Combining Multivariate Density Forecasts Using Predictive Criteria," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2008-02, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000.
"Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (Bace) Approach,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
266, OECD Publishing.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin & Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller, 2004. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 813-835, September.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach," NBER Working Papers 7750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlaop:v:2010:y:2010:i:5:id:318:p:72-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.