The Effect Of Ambient Scent On Moviegoers’ Behavior
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Spangenberg, Eric R. & Sprott, David E. & Grohmann, Bianca & Tracy, Daniel L., 2006. "Gender-congruent ambient scent influences on approach and avoidance behaviors in a retail store," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(12), pages 1281-1287, November.
- Spangenberg, Eric R. & Grohmann, Bianca & Sprott, David E., 2005. "It's beginning to smell (and sound) a lot like Christmas: the interactive effects of ambient scent and music in a retail setting," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(11), pages 1583-1589, November.
- Turley, L. W. & Milliman, Ronald E., 2000. "Atmospheric Effects on Shopping Behavior: A Review of the Experimental Evidence," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 193-211, August.
- Walsh, Gianfranco & Shiu, Edward & Hassan, Louise M. & Michaelidou, Nina & Beatty, Sharon E., 2011. "Emotions, store-environmental cues, store-choice criteria, and marketing outcomes," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(7), pages 737-744, July.
- Kevin Bradford & Debra Desrochers, 2009. "The Use of Scents to Influence Consumers: The Sense of Using Scents to Make Cents," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(2), pages 141-153, November.
- Philippa Ward & Barry Davies & Dion Kooijman, 2007. "Olfaction and the retail environment: examining the influence of ambient scent," Service Business, Springer;Pan-Pacific Business Association, vol. 1(4), pages 295-316, December.
- Nicolas Guéguen & Christine Petr, 2006. "Odors and consumer behavior in arestaurant," Post-Print halshs-00094108, HAL.
- Aradhna Krishna & May O. Lwin & Maureen Morrin, 2010. "Product Scent and Memory," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(1), pages 57-67, June.
- Chebat, Jean-Charles & Michon, Richard, 2003. "Impact of ambient odors on mall shoppers' emotions, cognition, and spending: A test of competitive causal theories," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(7), pages 529-539, July.
- Michon, Richard & Chebat, Jean-Charles & Turley, L. W., 2005. "Mall atmospherics: the interaction effects of the mall environment on shopping behavior," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 576-583, May.
- Morrison, Michael & Gan, Sarah & Dubelaar, Chris & Oppewal, Harmen, 2011. "In-store music and aroma influences on shopper behavior and satisfaction," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(6), pages 558-564, June.
- Orth, Ulrich R. & Bourrain, Aurelie, 2008. "The influence of nostalgic memories on consumer exploratory tendencies: Echoes from scents past," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 277-287.
- Michela Mari & Sara Poggesi, 2013. "Servicescape cues and customer behavior: a systematic literature review and research agenda," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 171-199, February.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Errajaa, Karim & LegohÃ©rel, Patrick & DaucÃ©, Bruno, 2018. "Immersion and emotional reactions to the ambiance of a multiservice space: The role of perceived congruence between odor and brand image," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 100-108.
- Leenders, Mark A.A.M. & Smidts, Ale & Haji, Anouar El, 2019. "Ambient scent as a mood inducer in supermarkets: The role of scent intensity and time-pressure of shoppers," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 270-280.
- Girard, Marc & Girard, Anna & Suppin, Anna-Caroline & Bartsch, Silke, 2016. "The scentscape: An integrative framework describing scents in servicescapes," jbm - Journal of Business Market Management, Free University Berlin, Marketing Department, vol. 9(1), pages 597-622.
- Ramona Luca & Delane Botelho, 2021. "The unconscious perception of smells as a driver of consumer responses: a framework integrating the emotion-cognition approach to scent marketing," AMS Review, Springer;Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 11(1), pages 145-161, June.
- Helmefalk, Miralem & HultÃ©n, Bertil, 2017. "Multi-sensory congruent cues in designing retail store atmosphere: Effects on shoppersâ€™ emotions and purchase behavior," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 1-11.
- Andreas C. Drichoutis & Varvara Kechagia, 2016.
"The effect of olfactory sensory cues on economic decision making,"
2016-4, Agricultural University of Athens, Department Of Agricultural Economics.
- Kechagia, Varvara & Drichoutis, Andreas C., 2016. "The effect of olfactory sensory cues on economic decision making," MPRA Paper 75293, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francisco I. Vega-Gómez & Francisco J. Miranda-Gonzalez & Jesús Pérez Mayo & Óscar Rodrigo González-López & Laura Pascual-Nebreda, 2020. "The Scent of Art. Perception, Evaluation, and Behaviour in a Museum in Response to Olfactory Marketing," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 12(4), pages 1-15, February.
- Lunardo, Renaud & Roux, Dominique & Chaney, Damien, 2016. "The evoking power of servicescapes: Consumers' inferences of manipulative intent following service environment-driven evocations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(12), pages 6097-6105.
- Kechagia, Varvara & Drichoutis, Andreas C., 2017. "The effect of olfactory sensory cues on willingness to pay and choice under risk," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 33-46.
- Jacob, Isaac & Khanna, Monica & Rai, Krupa A., 2020. "Attribution analysis of luxury brands: An investigation into consumer-brand congruence through conspicuous consumption," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 597-607.
- Diogo Conque Seco Ferreira & Jorge Mendes Oliveira-Castro, 2010. "Effects of background music on consumer behaviour: behavioural account of the consumer setting," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(15), pages 2571-2585, September.
- Eliane Schreuder & Jan van Erp & Alexander Toet & Victor L. Kallen, 2016. "Emotional Responses to Multisensory Environmental Stimuli," SAGE Open, , vol. 6(1), pages 21582440166, February.
- OLAHUT Meda Roxana & PLAIAS Ioan, 2013. "The Effects Of Ambient Scent On Consumer Behavior: A Review Of The Literature," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 1797-1806, July.
- Herrmann, Andreas & Zidansek, Manja & Sprott, David E. & Spangenberg, Eric R., 2013. "The Power of Simplicity: Processing Fluency and the Effects of Olfactory Cues on Retail Sales," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 30-43.
- Martin Amsteus & Vidar Hwang, 2015. "Scent in Mail: The Effect of Scented Direct Mailings," Journal of Economics and Behavioral Studies, AMH International, vol. 7(6), pages 24-33.
- Roschk, Holger & Loureiro, Sandra Maria Correia & Breitsohl, Jan, 2017. "Calibrating 30 Years of Experimental Research: A Meta-Analysis of the Atmospheric Effects of Music, Scent, and Color," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 228-240.
- Lieve Doucé, 2022. "The Effect of High, Partial, and Low Multisensory Congruity between Light and Scent on Consumer Evaluations and Approach Behavior," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 14(9), pages 1-25, May.
- DoucÃ©, Lieve & Adams, Carmen, 2020. "Sensory overload in a shopping environment: Not every sensory modality leads to too much stimulation," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 57(C).
- Chaney, Damien & Lunardo, Renaud & Saintives, Camille, 2015. "In-store quality (in)congruency as a driver of perceived legitimacy and shopping behavior," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 51-59.
- Errajaa, Karim & Hombourger-BarÃ¨s, Sabrina & Audrain-Pontevia, Anne-FranÃ§oise, 2022. "Effects of the in-store crowd and employee perceptions on intentions to revisit and word-of-mouth via transactional satisfaction: A SOR approach," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 68(C).
More about this item
KeywordsAtmosphere; Ambient Scent; Movie Theater; Consumer Behavior.;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pjm:journl:v:xviii:y:2013:i:2:p:67-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/isutlpt.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Luís Mota de Castro, Tiago Cardão-Pito, Mark Crathorne (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/isutlpt.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.