Biodiversity, poverty, and development
Biodiversity is crucial for the production of a range of marketed and non-marketed ecosystem goods and services. This paper reviews the empirical evidence for the role of terrestrial biodiversity and biodiversity conservation in economic development and poverty, at both the macro (e.g. country) and micro (e.g. farm) scales. It first examines general relationships between biodiversity and economic development before showing how biodiversity influences ecosystem services. Second, future scenarios and challenges for biodiversity and development are examined, given projections for further changes in global population, economic growth, and consumption. Third, the relationship between biodiversity protection and incomes is investigated. Two specific policies, protected areas and bioprospecting, are reviewed with respect to their impacts on the welfare of the resource-dependent poor. In conclusion, improvements in policy design and implementation could help minimize the possibility of earth’s sixth mass extinction event, at least within a few generations, while ensuring that the poor are not made worse off as a result of policy implementation. Copyright 2012, Oxford University Press.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benin, S. & Smale, M. & Pender, J. & Gebremedhin, B. & Ehui, S., 2004. "The economic determinants of cereal crop diversity on farms in the Ethiopian highlands," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 197-208, December.
- Charles Perrings & George Halkos, 2012. "Who Cares about Biodiversity? Optimal Conservation and Transboundary Biodiversity Externalities," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 52(4), pages 585-608, August.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Small, Arthur A., 2000.
"Valuing Research Leads: Bioprospecting and the Conservation of Genetic Resources,"
Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series
qt4t56m5b8, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Gordon C. Rausser & Arthur A. Small, 2000. "Valuing Research Leads: Bioprospecting and the Conservation of Genetic Resources," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(1), pages 173-206, February.
- World Bank, 2011. "The Changing Wealth of Nations : Measuring Sustainable Development in the New Millennium," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2252, August.
- Salvatore Di Falco & Charles Perrings, 2004.
"Crop Biodiversity, Risk Management and the Implications of Agricultural Assistance,"
0084, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2004.
- Di Falco, Salvatore & Perrings, Charles, 2005. "Crop biodiversity, risk management and the implications of agricultural assistance," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 459-466, December.
- Grossman, Gene M & Krueger, Alan B, 1995.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 353-77, May.
- Melinda Smale & Jason Hartell & Paul W. Heisey & Ben Senauer, 1998. "The Contribution of Genetic Resources and Diversity to Wheat Production in the Punjab of Pakistan," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 482-493.
- Mintewab Bezabih, 2008. "Agrobiodiversity conservation under an imperfect seed system:the role of Community Seed Banking schemes," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(1), pages 77-87, 01.
- Van Dusen, M. Eric & Taylor, J. Edward, 2005. "Missing markets and crop diversity: evidence from Mexico," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(04), pages 513-531, August.
- Amani Omer & Unai Pascual & Noel P. Russell, 2007. "Biodiversity Conservation and Productivity in Intensive Agricultural Systems," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 308-329, 06.
- Zwane, Alix Peterson, 2007. "Does poverty constrain deforestation? Econometric evidence from Peru," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 330-349, September.
- Susmita Dasgupta & Benoit Laplante & Hua Wang & David Wheeler, 2002. "Confronting the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 147-168, Winter.
- Alexander Pfaff & Juan Robalino, 2012. "Protecting forests, biodiversity, and the climate: predicting policy impact to improve policy choice," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 164-179, Spring.
- Simpson, R David & Sedjo, Roger A & Reid, John W, 1996. "Valuing Biodiversity for Use in Pharmaceutical Research," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 163-85, February.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1994. "Environmental Quality and Development: Is There a Kuznets Curve for Air Pollution Emissions?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 147-162, September.
- Sedjo, Roger A, 1992. "Property Rights, Genetic Resources, and Biotechnological Change," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(1), pages 199-213, April.
- Salvatore Di Falco & Jean-Paul Chavas & Melinda Smale, 2007. "Farmer management of production risk on degraded lands: the role of wheat variety diversity in the Tigray region, Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(2), pages 147-156, 03.
- Salvatore Di Falco & Jean-Paul Chavas, 2007. "On Crop Biodiversity, Risk Exposure, and Food Security in the Highlands of Ethiopia," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 599-611.
- Dieter Helm & Cameron Hepburn, 2012. "The economic analysis of biodiversity: an assessment," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 1-21, Spring.
- Mills, Julianne H. & Waite, Thomas A., 2009. "Economic prosperity, biodiversity conservation, and the environmental Kuznets curve," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 2087-2095, May.
- Fisher, Brendan & Christopher, Treg, 2007. "Poverty and biodiversity: Measuring the overlap of human poverty and the biodiversity hotspots," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 93-101, April.
- Sims, Katharine R.E., 2010. "Conservation and development: Evidence from Thai protected areas," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 94-114, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:oxford:v:28:y:2012:i:1:p:48-68. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.