Seeds for livelihood: Crop biodiversity and food production in Ethiopia
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- E. Meng, M. Smale & Brennan, John P. & Hu, Ruifa, 2003. "Determinants of spatial diversity in modern wheat: examples from Australia and China," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 28(1), January.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2007. "Agro-biodiversity as natural insurance and the development of financial insurance markets," Working Paper Series in Economics 61, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Nkonya, Ephraim M. & Pender, John L. & Jagger, Pamela & Sserunkuuma, Dick & Kaizzi, Crammer & Ssali, Henry, 2004. "Strategies for sustainable land management and poverty reduction in Uganda:," Research reports 133, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Tilman, David & Polasky, Stephen & Lehman, Clarence, 2005. "Diversity, productivity and temporal stability in the economies of humans and nature," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 405-426, May.
- Mintewab Bezabih, 2008. "Agrobiodiversity conservation under an imperfect seed system:the role of Community Seed Banking schemes," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(1), pages 77-87, January.
- Van Dusen, M. Eric & Taylor, J. Edward, 2005. "Missing markets and crop diversity: evidence from Mexico," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(04), pages 513-531, August.
- Benin, S. & Smale, M. & Pender, J. & Gebremedhin, B. & Ehui, S., 2004. "The economic determinants of cereal crop diversity on farms in the Ethiopian highlands," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 197-208, December.
- Smale, M. & Meng, E. & Brennan, J. P. & Hu, Ruifa, 2003. "Determinants of spatial diversity in modern wheat: examples from Australia and China," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 13-26, January.
- Melinda Smale & Jason Hartell & Paul W. Heisey & Ben Senauer, 1998. "The Contribution of Genetic Resources and Diversity to Wheat Production in the Punjab of Pakistan," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 482-493.
- Salvatore Di Falco & Jean-Paul Chavas & Melinda Smale, 2007. "Farmer management of production risk on degraded lands: the role of wheat variety diversity in the Tigray region, Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(2), pages 147-156, March.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2010.
"Managing increasing environmental risks through agrobiodiversity and agrienvironmental policies,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(5), pages 483-496, September.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2008. "Managing increasing environmental risks through agro-biodiversity and agri-environmental policies," Working Paper Series in Economics 80, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Katia Alejandra Covarrubias, 2015. "The role of crop diversity in household production and food security in Uganda: A gender-differentiated analysis," FOODSECURE Working papers 32, LEI Wageningen UR.
- Chibwana, Christopher & Fisher, Monica & Shively, Gerald, 2012. "Cropland Allocation Effects of Agricultural Input Subsidies in Malawi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 124-133.
- Pacín, Fernando & Oesterheld, Martín, 2014. "In-farm diversity stabilizes return on capital in Argentine agro-ecosystems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 51-59.
- Salazar-Espinoza, César & Jones, Sam & Tarp, Finn, 2015. "Weather shocks and cropland decisions in rural Mozambique," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 9-21.
- Ayenew, Habtamu Yesigat & Sauer, Johannes & Abate-Kassa, Getachew, 2016. "Cost of Risk Exposure, Farm Disinvestment and Adaptation to Climate Uncertainties: The Case of Arable Farms in the EU," 2016 Annual Meeting, July 31-August 2, 2016, Boston, Massachusetts 235595, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wasantha Athukorala & Muditha Karunarathna, "undated". "Conservation of Genetic Resources of Crops: Farmer Preferences for Banana Diversity in Sri Lanka," Working papers 114, The South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics.
- repec:eee:ecolec:v:144:y:2018:i:c:p:260-277 is not listed on IDEAS
- Coromaldi, Manuela & Pallante, Giacomo & Savastano, Sara, 2015. "Adoption of modern varieties, farmers' welfare and crop biodiversity: Evidence from Uganda," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(C), pages 346-358.
- Vijesh Krishna & Matin Qaim & David Zilberman, 2016.
"Transgenic crops, production risk and agrobiodiversity,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 43(1), pages 137-164.
- Krishna, Vijesh V. & Qaim, Matin & Zilberman, David, 2014. "Transgenic Crops, Production Risk, and Agrobiodiversity," Discussion Papers 164678, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Lanz, Bruno & Dietz, Simon & Swanson, Tim, 2018.
"The Expansion of Modern Agriculture and Global Biodiversity Decline: An Integrated Assessment,"
Elsevier, vol. 144(C), pages 260-277.
- Bruno Lanz & Simon Dietz & Timothy Swanson, 2014. "The expansion of modern agriculture and global biodiversity decline: An integrated assessment," CIES Research Paper series 29-2014, Centre for International Environmental Studies, The Graduate Institute.
- Bruno Lanz & Simon Dietz & Tim Swanson, 2017. "The expansion of modern agriculture and global biodiversity decline: An integrated assessment," IRENE Working Papers 17-08, IRENE Institute of Economic Research.
- Bruno Lanz & Simon Dietz & Tim Swanson, 2016. "The expansion of modern agriculture and global biodiversity decline: an integrated assessment," GRI Working Papers 167, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Monica Fisher & Tsedeke Abate & Rodney Lunduka & Woinishet Asnake & Yoseph Alemayehu & Ruth Madulu, 2015. "Drought tolerant maize for farmer adaptation to drought in sub-Saharan Africa: Determinants of adoption in eastern and southern Africa," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 133(2), pages 283-299, November.
- Michler, Jeffrey D. & Josephson, Anna L., 2017. "To Specialize or Diversify: Agricultural Diversity and Poverty Dynamics in Ethiopia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 214-226.
- Suta, Cornelia Madalina & Bailey, Alastair & Davidova, Sophia, 2010. "Environmental efficiency of small farms in selected EU NMS," 118th Seminar, August 25-27, 2010, Ljubljana, Slovenia 95323, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lee, Heera & Bogner, Christina & Lee, Saem & Koellner, Thomas, 2016. "Crop selection under price and yield fluctuation: Analysis of agro-economic time series from South Korea," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 148(C), pages 1-11.
- Josephson, Anna Leigh & Michler, Jeffrey D., 2015. "To Specialize or Diversify: Agricultural Diversity and Poverty Persistence in Ethiopia," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 212459, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mintewab Bezabih & Mare Sarr, 2012.
"Risk Preferences and Environmental Uncertainty: Implications for Crop Diversification Decisions in Ethiopia,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 53(4), pages 483-505, December.
- Mare Sarr and Mintewab Bezabih, 2013. "Risk Preferences and Environmental Uncertainty: Implications for Crop Diversification Decisions in Ethiopia," Working Papers 322, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Wasantha Athukorala & Muditha Karunarathna, 2017. "Conservation of Genetic Resources of Crops: Farmer Preferences for Banana Diversity in Sri Lanka," Working Papers id:11931, eSocialSciences.
- Bareille, François & Dupraz, Pierre, 2016. "Biodiversity productive effects in milk farms of western France: a multi-output primal system," 149th Seminar, October 27-28, 2016, Rennes, France 244774, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Donfouet, Hermann Pythagore Pierre & Barczak, Aleksandra & Détang-Dessendre, Cécile & Maigné, Elise, 2017. "Crop Production and Crop Diversity in France: A Spatial Analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(C), pages 29-39.
- Pascual, Unai & Narloch, Ulf & Nordhagen, Stella & Drucker, Adam G., 2011. "The economics of agrobiodiversity conservation for food security under climate change," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 11(1).
- Teklewold, Hailemariam & Kassie, Menale & Shiferaw, Bekele & Köhlin, Gunnar, 2013. "Cropping system diversification, conservation tillage and modern seed adoption in Ethiopia: Impacts on household income, agrochemical use and demand for labor," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 85-93.
- Matsushita, Kyohei & Yamane, Fumihiro & Asano, Kota, 2016. "Linkage between crop diversity and agro-ecosystem resilience: Nonmonotonic agricultural response under alternate regimes," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 126(C), pages 23-31.
More about this item
KeywordsFarm level productivity Crop diversity Rainfall Panel data Ethiopia;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolec:v:69:y:2010:i:8:p:1695-1702. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolecon .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.