Recovering the Shadow Value of Nutrients
This article investigates the shadow values of twenty-eight different nutrients. It links the unit price of foods to the shadow values of nutrients by building on a utility theoretic model first proposed by Gorman. Maximum entropy principles are then used to reason consistently about the values of the parameters of interest. The resulting estimates are discussed and analyzed. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 89 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- K. K. Lancaster, 2010. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1385, David K. Levine.
- Beatty, Timothy K. M. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T, 2005.
"U.S. Demand for Food and Nutrition in the 20th Century,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt41f3z7cd, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Beatty, Timothy K. M. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T, 2005. "U.S. demand for food and nutrition in the 20th century," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1002R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy, revised Aug 2005.
- Silberberg, Eugene, 1985. "Nutrition and the Demand for Tastes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 881-900, October.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Bera, Anil K. & Bilias, Yannis, 2002. "The MM, ME, ML, EL, EF and GMM approaches to estimation: a synthesis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 51-86, March.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 1999. "Inferring the Nutrient Content of Food With Prior Information," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 728-734.
- Kuo S. Huang, 1996. "Nutrient Elasticities in a Complete Food Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 21-29.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:89:y:2007:i:1:p:52-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.