The Valuation of Risks in the Labor Market: Hedonic Wage Study in CR
This study investigates the relationship between wages and risks of work-related fatalities in the Czech labour market. To prove this relationship, we followed the theory of compensating wage differentials and the theory of hedonic prices. Using data from 2007 Czech labour survey, we econometrically derived three hedonic wage functions. To estimate mortality risks premiums, two of hedonic wage functions used objective measures of fatality risk, one subjectively perceived risk. We found a positive and statistically significant correlation between wages and occupational fatality risks in all three models. The estimated effect was lower for hedonic function with worker´s perception of mortality risks. This result implies the workers themselves underestimate the fatality risks that they are exposed. Based on estimated hedonic wage functions, we computed the value of a statistical life (VSL) which indicates the marginal rate of substitution between compensation and mortality risk. The implied value of VSL is 60 million CZK for the model with subjectively perceived risks and 266 million CZK for the models with objective risks in 2009 Czech crowns.
Volume (Year): 2010 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Redakce Politické ekonomie, Vysoká škola ekonomická, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/polek/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. K. Lancaster, 2010. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1385, David K. Levine.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Aldy, 2003.
"The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World,"
NBER Working Papers
9487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Viscusi, W Kip & Aldy, Joseph E, 2003. " The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 5-76, August.
- repec:reg:rpubli:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Marek Giergiczny, 2008. "Value of a Statistical Life—the Case of Poland," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(2), pages 209-221, October.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpol:v:2010:y:2010:i:5:id:753:p:657-674. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.