Is Gas Cartel's Profitable for Russia? (A Case of European Gas Market)
The problem of gas cartel formation is widely discussed in many countries, including Russia. Gas cartel can exist only within the world natural gas market, the latter being possible provided liquefied natural gas (LNG) becomes wide spread. Since for Russia, European gas market is of prime importance the paper analyses perspectives of gas cartel, relative to the European market. Equilibrium states of such a market have been found for the two cases - that of a competitive behavior of LNG exporters to Europe, and of gas cartel which includes Russia and LNG exporters. Conditions ensuring that Russia gets higher profit in case of participating in a gas cartel, rather than in case of competitive behavior of LNG exporters, have been obtained.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 1-2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +7 495 7189855
Fax: +7 495 7189855
Web page: http://www.econorus.org/english.phtml
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David G. Tarr & Peter D. Thomson, 2004. "The Merits of Dual Pricing of Russian Natural Gas," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(8), pages 1173-1194, 08.
- Mohammed A. Al-Sahlawi, 1989. "The Demand for Natural Gas: A Survey of Price and Income Elasticities," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 77-90.
- Beierlein, James G & Dunn, James W & McConnon, James C, Jr, 1981. "The Demand for Electricity and Natural Gas in the Northeastern United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 403-08, August.
- Finon, Dominique & Locatelli, Catherine, 2008. "Russian and European gas interdependence: Could contractual trade channel geopolitics?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 423-442, January.
- Liu, Ben-chieh, 1983. "Natural gas price elasticities : Variations by region and by sector in the USA," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 195-201, July.
- Krichene, Noureddine, 2002. "World crude oil and natural gas: a demand and supply model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 557-576, November.
- Joris Morbée & Stef Proost, 2008. "Russian market power on the EU gas market: can Gazprom do the same as in Urkaine?," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0802, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nea:journl:y:2009:i:1-2:p:127-149. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexey Tcharykov)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.