Manufacturing Employment and Wage Differentials After Structural Adjustment Reforms in Colombia: An Efficiency Wages Approach
In the framework of the structural reforms in Colombia one of the most important policy proposals was reducing rigidities in the labor market. A perspective to assess the results of such reforms is the analysis of the relationship between firm employment and wage differentials in manufacturing before and after the reforms. If the labor reforms reached the intended objective of making more flexible the labor market, the employment levels must change faster, along with the behavior of wages and other labor costs, given some characteristics of firms and the economy. This paper addresses this topic proposing a model of wage differential and employment growth and testing its propositions before and after the structural reforms and controlling for industry and firm characteristics. A first finding is the confirmation of the positive relationship proposed between intra-industry wage differential and employment. In the inter-industry wage differential estimation, we find heterogeneous responses depending on the industry and a reduction in the autonomous labor turnover.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 74 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://economia.udea.edu.co|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Lecturas de Economía, Departamento de Economía, Calle 67, 53-108, Medellin 050010, Colombia.|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adriana Kugler, 2004.
"The Effect of Job Security Regulations on Labor Market Flexibility: Evidence from the Colombian Labor Market Reform,"
NBER Working Papers
10215, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adriana D. Kugler, 2004. "The Effect of Job Security Regulations on Labor Market Flexibility. Evidence from the Colombian Labor Market Reform," NBER Chapters, in: Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean, pages 183-228 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Carlos Echeverry & Mauricio Santamaria, 2004. "The Political Economy Of Labor Reform In Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 003618, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Campbell, Carl M, III, 1993. "Do Firms Pay Efficiency Wages? Evidence with Data at the Firm Level," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(3), pages 442-70, July.
- J Konings & Patrick Paul Walsh, 1993.
"Evidence of Efficiency Wage Payments in UK Firm Level Panel Data,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0138, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Konings, Jozef & Walsh, Patrick P, 1994. "Evidence of Efficiency Wage Payments in UK Firm Level Panel Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 542-55, May.
- Ana María Iregui B. & Ligia Alba Melo B. & María Teresa Ramírez G., 2010.
"Downward Wage Rigidities and Other Firms´ Responses to an Economic Slowdown: Evidence from a Survey of Colombian Firms,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
007195, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ana María Iregui B. & Ligia Alba Melo B. & María Teresa Ramírez G., . "Downward Wage Rigidities and Other Firms’ Responses to an Economic Slowdown: Evidence from a Survey of Colombian Firms," Borradores de Economia 612, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lde:journl:y:2011:i:74:p:87-117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Andrés Vasco Correa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.