Even Risk-Averters may Love Risk
A decision maker bets on the outcomes of a sequence of coin-tossings. At the beginning of the game the decision maker can choose one of two coins to play the game. This initial choice is irreversible. The coins can be biased and the player is uncertain about the nature of one (or possibly both) coin(s). If the player is an expected-utility maximizer, her choice of the coin will depend on different elements: the nature of the game (namely, whether she can observe the outcomes of the previous tosses before making her next decision), her utility function, the prior distribution on the bias of the coin. We will show that even a risk averter might optimally choose a riskier coin when learning is allowed. We will express most of our results in the language of stochastic orderings, allowing comparisons that are valid for large classes of utility functions.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 52 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/11238/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, Yuk-shee, 1981. "A note on risk and the value of information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 461-465, December.
- Yoram Halevy & Vincent Feltkamp, 2005.
"A Bayesian Approach to Uncertainty Aversion,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(2), pages 449-466.
- Yoram Halevy & Vincent Feltkamp, "undated". "A Bayesian Approach to Uncentainty Aversion," CARESS Working Papres 99-03, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Vincent Feltkamp & Yoram Halevy, 1999. "- A Bayesian Approach To Uncertainty Aversion," Working Papers. Serie AD 1999-14, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Yoram Halevy & Vincent Feltkamp, "undated". "A Bayesian Approach to Uncentainty Aversion," Penn CARESS Working Papers f17f3e2c6ad93e4b53fd58fc9, Penn Economics Department.
- Feltkamp, Vincent & Halevy, Yoram, 2004. "A Bayesian Approach to Uncertainty Aversion," Microeconomics.ca working papers halevy-04-02-13-07-48-37, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 25 Feb 2014.
- Vincent Feltkamp & Yoram Halevy, 2000. "A Bayesian Approach to Uncertainty Aversion," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1125, Econometric Society.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Segal, Uzi & Sharma, Sunil, 1992. "Stochastic dominance under Bayesian learning," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 352-377, April.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & Uzi Segal & Sunil Sharma, 1990. "Stochastic Dominance Under Bayesian Learning," UCLA Economics Working Papers 581, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Grant, S. & Polak, B. & Kajii, A., 1996. "Preference for Information," Papers 298, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Simon Grant & Atsushi Kajii & Ben Polak, 1996. "Preference for Information," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1114, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Grant, Simon & Kajii, Atsushi & Polak, Ben, 1998. "Intrinsic Preference for Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 233-259, December.
- Grant, S & Kajii, A & Polak, B, 1997. "Intrinsic Preference for Information," Papers 323, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Edward SchleeE, 1997. "The sure thing principle and the value of information," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 21-36, January.
- Kreps, David M & Porteus, Evan L, 1979. "Dynamic Choice Theory and Dynamic Programming," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 91-100, January.
- Sulganik, Eyal & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1997. "The value of information: The case of signal-dependent opportunity sets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1615-1625, August.
- Sulganik,E. & Zilcha,I., 1996. "The value of Information: the Case of Signal-Dependent Opportunity Sets," Papers 1-96, Tel Aviv.
- Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 1999. "Dynamic stochastic dominance in bandit decision problems," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 267-295, December.
- Magnac, T. & Robin, J.M., 1992. "Dynamic Stochastic Dominance in Bandit Decision Problems," DELTA Working Papers 92-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 1999. "Dynamic stochastic dominance in bandit decision problems," Post-Print hal-00359318, HAL.
- Susan Athey & Jonathan Levin, 1998. "The Value of Information In Monotone Decision Problems," Working papers 98-24, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Levin & Susan Athey, 2001. "The Value of Information in Monotone Decision Problems," Working Papers 01003, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Bassan, B. & Gossner, O. & Scarsini, M. & Zamir, S., 1999. "A Class of Games with Positive Value of Information," Papers 99-32, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- B. Bassan & O. Gossner & M. Scarsini & S. Zamir., 1999. "A class of games with positive value of information," THEMA Working Papers 99-32, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Nicola Persico, 2000. "Information Acquisition in Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 135-148, January.
- Nicola Persico, 1997. "Information Acquisition in Auctions," UCLA Economics Working Papers 762, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Kamien, Morton I. & Tauman, Yair & Zamir, Shmuel, 1990. "On the value of information in a strategic conflict," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 129-153, June.
- Schoemaker, Paul J H, 1989. "Preferences for Information on Probabilities versus Prizes: The Role of Risk-Taking Attitudes," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 37-60, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)