Even Risk-Averters may Love Risk
A decision maker bets on the outcomes of a sequence of coin-tossings. At the beginning of the game the decision maker can choose one of two coins to play the game. This initial choice is irreversible. The coins can be biased and the player is uncertain about the nature of one (or possibly both) coin(s). If the player is an expected-utility maximizer, her choice of the coin will depend on different elements: the nature of the game (namely, whether she can observe the outcomes of the previous tosses before making her next decision), her utility function, the prior distribution on the bias of the coin. We will show that even a risk averter might optimally choose a riskier coin when learning is allowed. We will express most of our results in the language of stochastic orderings, allowing comparisons that are valid for large classes of utility functions.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bassan, B. & Gossner, O. & Scarsini, M. & Zamir, S., 1999.
"A Class of Games with Positive Value of Information,"
99-32, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- B. Bassan & O. Gossner & M. Scarsini & S. Zamir., 1999. "A class of games with positive value of information," THEMA Working Papers 99-32, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & Uzi Segal & Sunil Sharma, 1990.
"Stochastic Dominance Under Bayesian Learning,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
581, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Sulganik,E. & Zilcha,I., 1996.
"The value of Information: the Case of Signal-Dependent Opportunity Sets,"
1-96, Tel Aviv.
- Sulganik, Eyal & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1997. "The value of information: The case of signal-dependent opportunity sets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1615-1625, August.
- Grant, Simon & Kajii, Atsushi & Polak, Ben, 1998.
"Intrinsic Preference for Information,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 233-259, December.
- Edward SchleeE, 1997. "The sure thing principle and the value of information," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 21-36, January.
- Jonathan Levin & Susan Athey, 2001.
"The Value of Information in Monotone Decision Problems,"
01003, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Susan Athey & Jonathan Levin, 1998. "The Value of Information In Monotone Decision Problems," Working papers 98-24, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kamien, Morton I. & Tauman, Yair & Zamir, Shmuel, 1990. "On the value of information in a strategic conflict," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 129-153, June.
- Simon Grant & Atsushi Kajii & Ben Polak, 1996.
"Preference for Information,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1114, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Nicola Persico, 1997.
"Information Acquisition in Auctions,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
762, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 1999.
"Dynamic stochastic dominance in bandit decision problems,"
- Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 1999. "Dynamic stochastic dominance in bandit decision problems," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 267-295, December.
- Magnac, T. & Robin, J.M., 1992. "Dynamic Stochastic Dominance in Bandit Decision Problems," DELTA Working Papers 92-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Yoram Halevy & Vincent Feltkamp, .
"A Bayesian Approach to Uncentainty Aversion,"
CARESS Working Papres
99-03, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Feltkamp, Vincent & Halevy, Yoram, 2004. "A Bayesian Approach to Uncertainty Aversion," Microeconomics.ca working papers halevy-04-02-13-07-48-37, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 25 Feb 2014.
- Yoram Halevy & Vincent Feltkamp, . "A Bayesian Approach to Uncentainty Aversion," Penn CARESS Working Papers f17f3e2c6ad93e4b53fd58fc9, Penn Economics Department.
- Vincent Feltkamp & Yoram Halevy, 1999. "- A Bayesian Approach To Uncertainty Aversion," Working Papers. Serie AD 1999-14, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Vincent Feltkamp & Yoram Halevy, 2000. "A Bayesian Approach to Uncertainty Aversion," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1125, Econometric Society.
- Chan, Yuk-shee, 1981. "A note on risk and the value of information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 461-465, December.
- Schoemaker, Paul J H, 1989. "Preferences for Information on Probabilities versus Prizes: The Role of Risk-Taking Attitudes," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 37-60, April.
- Kreps, David M & Porteus, Evan L, 1979. "Dynamic Choice Theory and Dynamic Programming," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 91-100, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:theord:v:52:y:2002:i:1:p:81-99. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.