Entropy and the value of information for investors
Consider any investor who fears ruin when facing any set of investments that satisfy no-arbitrage. Before investing, he can purchase information about the state of nature in the form of an information structure. Given his prior, information structure $\alpha$ is more informative than information structure $\beta$ if, whenever he is willing to buy $\beta$ at some price, he is also willing to buy $\alpha$ at that price. We show that this informativeness ordering is complete and is represented by the decrease in entropy of his beliefs, regardless of his preferences, initial wealth, or investment problem. We also show that no prior-independent informativeness ordering based on similar premises exists.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00648884|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blume, Lawrence & Easley, David, 1992. "Evolution and market behavior," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 9-40, October.
- Jonathan Levin & Susan Athey, 2001.
"The Value of Information in Monotone Decision Problems,"
01003, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Susan Athey & Jonathan Levin, 1998. "The Value of Information In Monotone Decision Problems," Working papers 98-24, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Sergiu Hart, 2011.
"Comparing Risks by Acceptance and Rejection,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(4), pages 617 - 638.
- Azrieli, Yaron & Lehrer, Ehud, 2008.
"The value of a stochastic information structure,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 679-693, July.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, March.
- Olivier Gossner & Abraham Neyman & Penélope Hernández, 2005.
"Optimal Use Of Communication Resources,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2005-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Dean P. Foster & Sergiu Hart, 2007.
"An Operational Measure of Riskiness,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp454, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Thierry Post & Martijn J. van den Assem & Guido Baltussen & Richard H. Thaler, 2008. "Deal or No Deal? Decision Making under Risk in a Large-Payoff Game Show," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 38-71, March.
- Olivier Gossner, 2011. "Simple Bounds on the Value of a Reputation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(5), pages 1627-1641, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:halshs-00648884. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.