An entrepreneurial process perspective on succession in family firms
We review and analyze previous literature on succession in family firms from an entrepreneurial process perspective. Through a three-step cluster analysis of 117 published articles on succession in family firms published between 1974 and 2010, we find several themes within which succession can be understood from an entrepreneurial process perspective where both the entry of new owners and exit of old owners are associated with the pursuit of new business opportunities. We identify gaps within each cluster and develop a set of research questions that may guide future research on succession as an entrepreneurial process. Since succession involves implications for individuals, families and firms, we suggest researchers should adopt a multilevel perspective as they seek answers to these research questions. Our review and analysis also underlines the need to focus on ownership transition rather than only management succession, and the importance of carefully defining both succession and family firm. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dyck, Bruno & Mauws, Michael & Starke, Frederick A. & Mischke, Gary A., 2002. "Passing the baton: The importance of sequence, timing, technique and communication in executive succession," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 143-162, March.
- Van de Ven, Andrew H. & Engleman, Rhonda M., 2004. "Event- and outcome-driven explanations of entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 343-358, May.
- Magnus Henrekson, 2005.
"Entrepreneurship: a weak link in the welfare state?,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 437-467, June.
- Henrekson, Magnus, 2002. "Entrepreneurship: A Weak Link in the Welfare State," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 518, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 04 Mar 2005.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2007066 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2003050 is not listed on IDEAS
- M. Scholes & Mike Wright & Paul Westhead & Andrew Burrows & Hans Bruining, 2007. "Information Sharing, Price Negotiation and Management Buy-outs of Private Family-owned Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 329-349, October.
- Howorth, Carole & Westhead, Paul & Wright, Mike, 2004. "Buyouts, information asymmetry and the family management dyad," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 509-534, July.
- Bjuggren, Per-Olof & Sund, Lars-Goran, 2002. " A Transaction Cost Rationale for Transition of the Firm within the Family," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 123-33, September.
- C. Mirjam van Praag, 2003. "Business Survival and Success of Young Small Business Owners," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-050/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Dawn DeTienne & Melissa Cardon, 2012. "Impact of founder experience on exit intentions," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 351-374, May.
- Zahra, Shaker A., 2007. "Contextualizing theory building in entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 443-452, May.
- Cucculelli, Marco & Micucci, Giacinto, 2008.
"Family succession and firm performance: Evidence from Italian family firms,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 17-31, February.
- Marco Cucculelli & Giacinto Micucci, 2008. "Family Succession and Firm Performance: Evidence from Italian Family Firms," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 680, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- van Praag, C M & Cramer, J S, 2001. "The Roots of Entrepreneurship and Labour Demand: Individual Ability and Low Risk Aversion," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(269), pages 45-62, February.
- Carroll, Glenn R. & Mosakowski, Elaine M., 1987. "The Career Dynamics of Self-Employment," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt13p1n10b, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Miller, Danny & Steier, Lloyd & Le Breton-Miller, Isabelle, 2003. "Lost in time: intergenerational succession, change, and failure in family business," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 513-531, July.
- Ronstadt, Robert, 1986. "Exit, stage left why entrepreneurs end their entrepreneurial careers before retirement," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 323-338.
- Sharma, Pramodita & Chrisman, James J. & Chua, Jess H., 2003. "Predictors of satisfaction with the succession process in family firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 667-687, September.
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-35, June.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Haveman, Heather A. & Khaire, Mukti V., 2004. "Survival beyond succession? The contingent impact of founder succession on organizational failure," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 437-463, May.
- Morten Bennedsen & Kasper Meisner Nielsen & Francisco Pérez-González & Daniel Wolfenzon, 2007. "Inside the Family Firm: the Role of Families in Succession Decisions and Performance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 122(2), pages 647-691, 05.
- Shepherd, Dean A. & Wiklund, Johan & Haynie, J. Michael, 2009. "Moving forward: Balancing the financial and emotional costs of business failure," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 134-148, March.
- Colin Mason & Richard Harrison, 2006. "After the exit: Acquisitions, entrepreneurial recycling and regional economic development," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 55-73.
- Wennberg, Karl & Wiklund, Johan & DeTienne, Dawn & Cardon, Melissa, 2009.
"Reconceptualizing Entrepreneurial Exit: Divergent Exit Routes and Their Drivers,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Business Administration
2009:10, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Wennberg, Karl & Wiklund, Johan & DeTienne, Dawn R. & Cardon, Melissa S., 2010. "Reconceptualizing entrepreneurial exit: Divergent exit routes and their drivers," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 361-375, July.
- Wright, Mike & Thompson, Steve & Robbie, Ken, 1992. "Venture capital and management-led, leveraged buy-outs: A European perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 47-71, January.
- Sarasvathy, Saras D., 2004. "The questions we ask and the questions we care about: reformulating some problems in entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 707-717, September.
- Aldrich, Howard E. & Cliff, Jennifer E., 2003. "The pervasive effects of family on entrepreneurship: toward a family embeddedness perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 573-596, September.
- Carter, Nancy M. & Gartner, William B. & Shaver, Kelly G. & Gatewood, Elizabeth J., 2003. "The career reasons of nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 13-39, January.
- Thomas Zellweger & Philipp Sieger, 2012. "Entrepreneurial orientation in long-lived family firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Phan, Phillip H., 2004. "Entrepreneurship theory: possibilities and future directions," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 617-620, September.
- Block, Joern H. & Jaskiewicz, Peter & Miller, Danny, 2011. "Ownership versus management effects on performance in family and founder companies: A Bayesian reconciliation," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 232-245.
- DeTienne, Dawn R., 2010. "Entrepreneurial exit as a critical component of the entrepreneurial process: Theoretical development," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 203-215, March.
- Harvey James, 1999. "Owner as Manager, Extended Horizons and the Family Firm," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 41-55.
- Brenes, Esteban R. & Madrigal, Kryssia & Molina-Navarro, German E., 2006. "Family business structure and succession: Critical topics in Latin American experience," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 372-374, March.
- Eric Gedajlovic & Michael H. Lubatkin & William S. Schulze, 2004. "Crossing the Threshold from Founder Management to Professional Management: A Governance Perspective," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(5), pages 899-912, 07.
- Marshall, James P. & Sorenson, Ritch & Brigham, Keith & Wieling, Elizabeth & Reifman, Alan & Wampler, Richard S., 2006. "The paradox for the family firm CEO: Owner age relationship to succession-related processes and plans," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 348-368, May.
- Lorraine Uhlaner & Franz Kellermanns & Kimberly Eddleston & Frank Hoy, 2012. "The entrepreneuring family: a new paradigm for family business research," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Schiller, Bradley R & Crewson, Philip E, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Origins: A Longitudinal Inquiry," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 35(3), pages 523-31, July.
- MacMillan, Ian C., 1993. "The emerging forum for entrepreneurship scholars," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 377-381, September.
- Denise Diwisch & Peter Voithofer & Christoph Weiss, 2009. "Succession and firm growth: results from a non-parametric matching approach," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 45-56, January.
- Stephen Johnson, 1967. "Hierarchical clustering schemes," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 241-254, September.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2002. "How does insertion in global value chains affect upgrading in industrial clusters?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1017-1027.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:sbusec:v:40:y:2013:i:4:p:1087-1122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.