Making the Big Leagues: Factors Contributing to Publication in Elite Economics Journals
Publication in the best journals of one’s discipline is for many the equivalent of making the big leagues in sports or performing at Carnegie Hall in the arts. Using individual-specific data collected from 704 economists, this study provides a multivariate analysis of the factors which contribute to publication in top economics journals. By examining only publications in elite journals, the analysis avoids pitfalls associated with weighting the quality of a wide array of journals while maintaining an emphasis on the determinants of excellence in scholarship. Empirical results indicate that many factors impact elite journal publication, including the quality of graduate education, collaboration with colleagues, presenting at professional conferences, teaching commitments, and service work. Copyright IAES 2005
Volume (Year): 33 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (404) 965-1555
Fax: (404) 965-1556
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=112055Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graves, Philip E & Marchand, James R & Thompson, Randal, 1982. "Economics Departmental Rankings: Research Incentives, Constraints, and Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1131-41, December.
- Gaines Liner, 2001. "Core authors and rankings in economics," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 29(4), pages 459-468, December.
- Garey C. Durden & Patricia Gaynor & Kellie Maske, 2002.
"Determinants of Scholarly Productivity Among Male and Female Economists,"
02-12, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Kellie L. Maske & Garey C. Durden & Patricia E. Gaynor, 2003. "Determinants of Scholarly Productivity among Male and Female Economists," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(4), pages 555-564, October.
- Gaines Liner & Minesh Amin, 2004. "Methods of ranking economics journals," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 32(2), pages 140-149, June.
- Richard Dusansky & Clayton J. Vernon, 1998. "Rankings of U.S. Economics Departments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 157-170, Winter.
- Fox, Kevin J & Milbourne, Ross, 1999. "What Determines Research Output of Academic Economists?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(230), pages 256-67, September.
- Barnett, Andy H & Ault, Richard W & Kaserman, David L, 1988. "The Rising Incidence of Co-authorship in Economics: Further Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 539-43, August.
- McDowell, John M & Melvin, Michael, 1983. "The Determinants of Co-Authorship: An Analysis of the Economics Literature," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 155-60, February.
- Moore, William J & Newman, Robert J & Turnbull, Geoffrey K, 1998. "Do Academic Salaries Decline with Seniority?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 352-66, April.
- McDowell, John M & Smith, Janet Kiholm, 1992. "The Effect of Gender-Sorting on Propensity to Coauthor: Implications for Academic Promotion," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 30(1), pages 68-82, January.
- Davis, Paul & Papanek, Gustav F, 1984. "Faculty Ratings of Major Economics Departments by Citations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(1), pages 225-30, March.
- James E. Hartley & Michael D. Robinson, 1997. "Economic Research at National Liberal Arts Colleges: School Rankings," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(4), pages 337-349, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:atlecj:v:33:y:2005:i:1:p:93-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.