Estimating Sales for Retail Centers: An Application of the Poisson Gravity Model
The projection of total retail sales for a shopping center development is of critical importance in its valuation, in the making of investment decisions by investors, and to the retail merchants who must make location decisions. In this study, we apply the Poisson Gravity Model to forecast the number of shopping trips attracted to each of the major retail centers in the Atlanta metropolitan area. In the second stage, the estimated total retail sales for all the shopping centers covered in the study, are allocated to the individual centers, based on their estimated shopping trip shares.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Okoruwa, A. Ason & Terza, Joseph V. & Nourse, Hugh O., 1988. "Estimating patronization shares for urban retail centers: An extension of the Poisson gravity model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 241-259, November.
- R. Turner & H.S.D. Cole, 1980. "An Investigation into the Estimation and Reliability of Urban Shopping Models," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 17(2), pages 139-157, June.
- Terza, Joseph V., 1985. "A Tobit-type estimator for the censored Poisson regression model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 361-365.
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," NBER Technical Working Papers 0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:9:n:1:1994:p:85-98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.