A Note on Residential Mortgage Selection: Borrower Decisions and Inflation Expectations
In this note, the choice of mortgage instrument in an inflationary environment was analyzed. Using Federal Home Loan Bank data on the proportion of loans closed as variable-rate mortgages for the period 1981 to 1987, it was found that higher anticipated inflation held with certainty increased this proportion, while greater inflation uncertainty in the sense of a Diamond-Stiglitz mean-preserving spread decreased this proportion. That is, homebuyers appear to prefer fixed-rate mortgages in the presence of inflation uncertainty and to reject lender efforts to shift interest-rate risk through variable-rate mortgages.
Volume (Year): 4 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Dwayne Barney & Harry White, 1986. "The Optimal Mortgage Payment Path Under Price Uncertainty," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(3), pages 406-413.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 1984. "The Flexible Mortgage: Optimal Financing of a Consumer Durable," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(2), pages 136-152.
- Baesel, Jerome B. & Biger, Nahum, 1980. "The Allocation of Risk: Some Implications of Fixed versus Index-Linked Mortgages," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(02), pages 457-468, June.
- Donald J. Smith, 1987. "The Borrower's Choice between Fixed and Adjustable Rate Loan Contracts," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(2), pages 110-116.
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Santomero, Anthony M, 1983. " Fixed versus Variable Rate Loans," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1363-80, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:4:n:1:1989:p:73-79. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.