Applying Models for Vertical Inequity in the Property Tax to a Non-Market Value State
The objective is to contribute to the discussion on property tax inequity by employing the methodologies developed to test for vertical inequity in a tax system that currently does not rely on some form of market value in the assessment process. There is strong evidence that the property tax and the â€˜â€˜True Tax Valueâ€™â€™ assessment procedure employed in Indiana contains progressive vertical inequities rather than regressive inequities as is typically perceived. This is unique, as previous findings tend to support the notion that the property tax is regressive. It provides potentially pertinent information in light of the ongoing discussion surrounding the restructuring of Indianaâ€™s property tax assessment and property tax debates elsewhere.
Volume (Year): 19 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/Email:
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gatzlaff Dean H. & Ling David C., 1994. "Measuring Changes in Local House Prices: An Empirical Investigation of Alternative Methodologies," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 221-244, March.
- Edelstein, Robert H., 1979. "An Appraisal of Residential Property Tax Regressivity," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(04), pages 753-768, November.
- Clapp, John M, 1990. "A New Test for Equitable Real Estate Tax Assessment," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 233-49, September.
- Kochin, Levis A & Parks, Richard W, 1982. "Vertical Equity in Real Estate Assessment: A Fair Appraisal," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(4), pages 511-32, October.
- Earl D. Benson & Arthur L. Schwartz, Jr., 1997. "Vertical Equity in the Taxation of Single Family Homes," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 215-232.
- Mark A. Sunderman & John W. Birch & Roger E. Cannaday & Thomas W. Hamilton, 1990. "Testing for Vertical Inequity in Property Tax Systems," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(3), pages 319-334.
- Lyons, Robert F. & Loveridge, Scott, 1993. "An Hedonic Estimation Of The Effect Of Federally Subsidized Housing On Nearby Residential Property Values," Staff Papers 13377, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:19:n:3:2000:p:321-344. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.