Which Corporate Real Estate Management Functions Should be Outsourced?
Recently, there has been much interest in outsourcing corporate real estate management functions. We explain why firms should consider outsourcing and identify both positive benefits and possible negative consequences of outsourcing. Further, we utilize concepts from the neoclassical theory of the firm, supported by the literature on corporate real estate outsourcing, to shed some light on how much and which corporate real estate management functions should be outsourced. Functions associated with "taskmasters", "controllers", and "dealmakers" are more likely to be outsourced successfully. "Entrepreneur" and "business strategist" management functions are more likely to be carried out more effectively by internal managers. Outsourcing the appropriate real estate management functions, consistent with each company's individual needs, should enhance shareholder wealth.
Volume (Year): 14 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Ambrose, Brent William, 1990. "Corporate Real Estate's Impact on the Takeover Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 307-22, December.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Edward A. Noha, 1993. "Benchmarking: The Search for Best Practices in Corporate Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(4), pages 511-524.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Stellan Lundstrom, 1993. "Realizing the Strategic Dimensions of Corporate Real Property Through Improved Planning and Control Systems," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(4), pages 495-510.
- Larry B. Kimbler & Ronald C. Rutherford, 1993. "Corporate Real Estate Outsourcing: A Survey of the Issues," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(4), pages 525-540.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:14:n:3:1997:p:259-274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.