The Wealth Effects of Real Estate Spin-Offs
This study examines the wealth effects surrounding the separation of real estate operations via spin-off. Parent firms of spin-offs in this sample experienced a significant abnormal two-day return of 3.195% for days - 1 and 0 of the announcement data in the Wall Street Journal. Tracking the performance of the spun off firms and the parent firms that survived for twenty-four months after the spin-off showed that neither the portfolio of subsidiaries nor the portfolio of parent firms earned returns significantly different from the market portfolio.
Volume (Year): 8 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Ambrose, Brent William, 1990. "Corporate Real Estate's Impact on the Takeover Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 307-22, December.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- John L. Glascock & Wallace N. Davidson & C. F. Sirmans, 1991. "The Gains from Corporate Selloffs: The Case of Real Estate Assets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(4), pages 567-582.
- William B. Brueggeman & Jeffrey D. Fisher & David M. Porter, 1990. "Rethinking Corporate Real Estate," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 3(1), pages 39-50.
- Miles, James A & Rosenfeld, James D, 1983. " The Effect of Voluntary Spin-Off Announcements on Shareholder Wealth," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1597-1606, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:8:n:4:1993:p:597-606. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.