Property-by-Property Valuation of Publicly Traded Real Estate Firms
Because the assets held by publicly traded real estate companies are infrequently traded, their values must be estimated to determine the relationship between share prices and net asset values for investment purposes. Alternative modeling approaches may be followed to accomplish these valuations, including income-based and transaction-based models. The real estate values of publicly traded firms are estimated in this study using a hedonic pricing model that combines the marketâ€™s valuation of the fundamental character-istics of the assets with the specific characteristics of each asset being valued. After converting asset values to estimates of net asset values, the net asset values are compared to the market valuations of firmsâ€™ equity claims. Valuations for two Hotel REITs provide information about market premiums commonly attributable to liquidity and REIT management.
Volume (Year): 14 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Brian Webb & Mike Miles & David Guilkey, 1992. "Transactions-Driven Commercial Real Estate Returns: The Panacea to Asset Allocation Models?," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 325-357.
- Hoag, James W, 1980. " Towards Indices of Real Estate Value and Return," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 569-80, May.
- McIntosh, Willard & Ott, Steven H & Liang, Youguo, 1995. "The Wealth Effects of Real Estate Transactions: The Case of REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 299-307, May.
- John L. Glascock & Wallace N. Davidson & C.F. Sirmans, 1989. "An Analysis of the Acquisition and Disposition of Real Estate Assets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(3), pages 131-140.
- Lee, Charles M C & Shleifer, Andrei & Thaler, Richard H, 1990. "Closed-End Mutual Funds," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(4), pages 153-64, Fall.
- Fayez A. Elayan & Brian A. Maris, 1991. "Stock Market Response to Voluntary Liquidations and Reorganizations of Real Estate Corporations," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(1), pages 92-101.
- Damodaran, Aswath & Liu, Crocker H, 1993. "Insider Trading as a Signal of Private Information," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 79-119.
- William B. Brueggeman & Jeffrey D. Fisher & David M. Porter, 1990. "Rethinking Corporate Real Estate," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 3(1), pages 39-50.
- Jaime R. Alvayay & Ronald C. Rutherford & William S. Smith, 1995. "Tax Rules and the Sale and Leaseback of Corporate Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 23(2), pages 207-238.
- Wheaton William C. & Torto Raymond G., 1994. "Office Rent Indices and Their Behavior over Time," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 121-139, March.
- Ronald C. Rutherford, 1990. "Empirical Evidence on Shareholder Value and the Sale-Leaseback of Corporate Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 522-529.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:14:n:1:1997:p:77-90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.