Der Coupon-Handelsansatz als Modell für eine subjektbezogene Finanzierung der Kinderbetreuung / The Coupon Trading Approach as a Model for a Subject-based Financing System of Early Childhood Education and Care Services
Improving early childhood education and care (ECEC) services is one of the challenging duties of public authorities in Germany.We think that inefficiency with respect to the quantity as well as the quality of ECEC services is caused by the prevalent object-based financing system. In this article, we tackle the issue by providing a positive analysis to the ongoing discussion about the future of publicly financed ECEC services. We present a model of a subject-based financing system for ECEC services with tradable vouchers. On the basis of this model, it is shown that by introducing tradable vouchers a more efficient allocation of resources is possible. Further, the model indicates that tradable vouchers also improve the quality of ECEC services.
Volume (Year): 232 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michaela Kreyenfeld & Katharina Spieß & Gert G. Wagner, 2000. "Kindertageseinrichtungen in Deutschland: ein neues Steuerungsmodell bei der Bereitstellung sozialer Dienstleistungen," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 67(18), pages 269-275.
- West, Edwin G, 1997. "Education Vouchers in Principle and Practice: A Survey," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 83-103, February.
- Laura-Christin Diekmann & Dominik Enste & Nicola Hülskamp, 2008. "Kita-Gutscheine: Für eine verbesserte Betreuung und Bildung," Wirtschaftsdienst, Springer;German National Library of Economics, vol. 88(10), pages 666-671, October.
- Naci Mocan, 2007. "Can consumers detect lemons? An empirical analysis of information asymmetry in the market for child care," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 20(4), pages 743-780, October.
- Levin, Henry M. & Schwartz, Heather L., 2007. "Educational vouchers for universal pre-schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 3-16, February.
- H. Naci Mocan, 1997. "Cost Functions, Efficiency, and Quality in Day Care Centers," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(4), pages 861-891.
- Viitanen, Tarja, 2007. "Public versus Private Provision of Daycare: An Experimental Evaluation," IZA Discussion Papers 3009, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Glennerster, Howard, 1991. "Quasi-markets for Education?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(408), pages 1268-1276, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:232:y:2012:i:2:p:116-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.