Short- or Long-Duration Coupons: The Effect of the Expiration Date on the Profitability of Coupon Promotions
United States firms collectively spend over $6.5 billion annually on coupon promotions and are becoming increasingly concerned with their profitability. FSI (free-standing-insert) data show that coupon duration varies across brands. In this paper, we show how coupon duration can affect coupon profitability. We also provide answers for some empirical observations on coupon duration. We explain, for example, why (i) coupon duration will vary across firms, such that large market share firms will give short-duration coupons and small market share firms will give long-duration coupons; (ii) longer coupon duration for one brand will increase redemption for coupons of that brand and of a competing brand; (iii) coupon duration will affect coupon profitability.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, July.
- Ronald W. Ward & James E. Davis, 1978. "A Pooled Cross-Section Time Series Model of Coupon Promotions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 60(3), pages 393-401.
- Jagmohan S. Raju & Sanjay K. Dhar & Donald G. Morrison, 1994. "The Effect of Package Coupons on Brand Choice," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(2), pages 145-164.
- Aradhna Krishna, 1992. "The Normative Impact of Consumer Price Expectations for Multiple Brands on Consumer Purchase Behavior," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(3), pages 266-286.
- Scott A. Neslin, 1990. "A Market Response Model for Coupon Promotions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 125-145.
- Scott A. Neslin & Robert W. Shoemaker, 1983. "A Model for Evaluating the Profitability of Coupon Promotions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 361-388.
- Jagmohan S. Raju & V. Srinivasan & Rajiv Lal, 1990. "The Effects of Brand Loyalty on Competitive Price Promotional Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 276-304, March.
- Narasimhan, Chakravarthi, 1988. "Competitive Promotional Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(4), pages 427-449, October.
- Sanjay K. Dhar & Donald G. Morrison & Jagmohan S. Raju, 1996. "The Effect of Package Coupons on Brand Choice: An Epilogue on Profits," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(2), pages 192-203.
- Scott A. Neslin & Caroline Henderson & John Quelch, 1985. "Consumer Promotions and the Acceleration of Product Purchases," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 147-165.
- Füsun Gönül & Kannan Srinivasan, 1996. "Estimating the Impact of Consumer Expectations of Coupons on Purchase Behavior: A Dynamic Structural Model," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(3), pages 262-279.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:8:p:1041-1056. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.