When and how should retailers rationalize the size and duration of price discounts?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Peracchio, Laura A & Tybout, Alice M, 1996. " The Moderating Role of Prior Knowledge in Schema-Based Product Evaluation," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 177-192, December.
- Eric T. Anderson & Duncan I. Simester, 2001. "Are Sale Signs Less Effective When More Products Have Them?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(2), pages 121-142, March.
- Raghubir, Priya & Celly, Kirti Sawhney, 2011. "Promoting promotions: Does showcasing free gifts backfire?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 55-58, January.
- Inman, J Jeffrey & Peter, Anil C & Raghubir, Priya, 1997. " Framing the Deal: The Role of Restrictions in Accentuating Deal Value," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 68-79, June.
- Danny Weathers & Scott Swain & Jay Carlson, 2012. "Why consumers respond differently to absolute versus percentage descriptions of quantities," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 943-957, December.
- Braun-LaTour, Kathryn A. & Puccinelli, Nancy M. & Mast, Fred W., 2007. "Mood, information congruency, and overload," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(11), pages 1109-1116, November.
- Kumar, V. & Madan, Vibhas & Srinivasan, Srini S., 2004. "Price discounts or coupon promotions: does it matter?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(9), pages 933-941, September.
- Babin, Barry J. & Babin, Laurie, 2001. "Seeking something different? A model of schema typicality, consumer affect, purchase intentions and perceived shopping value," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 89-96, November.
- Martin Pesendorfer, 2002. "Retail Sales: A Study of Pricing Behavior in Supermarkets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(1), pages 33-66, January.
- Aradhna Krishna & Z. John Zhang, 1999. "Short- or Long-Duration Coupons: The Effect of the Expiration Date on the Profitability of Coupon Promotions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(8), pages 1041-1056, August.
- Laroche, Michel & Pons, Frank & Zgolli, Nadia & Cervellon, Marie-Cecile & Kim, Chankon, 2003. "A model of consumer response to two retail sales promotion techniques," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(7), pages 513-522, July.
- John, Deborah Roedder, 1999. " Consumer Socialization of Children: A Retrospective Look at Twenty-Five Years of Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 183-213, December.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L & Thaler, Richard, 1986. "Fairness as a Constraint on Profit Seeking: Entitlements in the Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 728-741, September.
- Bolton, Lisa E & Warlop, Luk & Alba, Joseph W, 2003. " Consumer Perceptions of Price (Un)Fairness," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(4), pages 474-491, March.
- Lichtenstein, Donald R & Bearden, William O, 1986. " Measurement and Structure of Kelley's Covariance Theory," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 290-296, September.
- Meyers-Levy, Joan & Tybout, Alice M, 1989. " Schema Congruity as a Basis for Product Evaluation," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 39-54, June.
- Campbell, Margaret C & Goodstein, Ronald C, 2001. " The Moderating Effect of Perceived Risk on Consumers' Evaluations of Product Incongruity: Preference for the Norm," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(3), pages 439-449, December.
- Suri, Rajneesh & Monroe, Kent B, 2003. " The Effects of Time Constraints on Consumers' Judgments of Prices and Products," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(1), pages 92-104, June.
- Dutta, Sujay & Bhowmick, Sandeep, 2009. "Consumer responses to offline and online low price signals: The role of cognitive elaboration," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(6), pages 629-635, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Li, Zhen & Yada, Katsutoshi & Zennyo, Yusuke, 2019. "Duration of Price Promotion and Retail Profit: An In-depth Study Based on Point-of-Sale Data," MPRA Paper 93047, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saghiri, Soroosh & Wilding, Richard & Mena, Carlos & Bourlakis, Michael, 2017. "Toward a three-dimensional framework for omni-channel," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 53-67.
- Richard C. Hanna & Scott D. Swain & Paul D. Berger, 2016. "Optimizing time-limited price promotions," Journal of Marketing Analytics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 4(2), pages 77-92, July.
- Bogomolova, Svetlana & Szabo, Marietta & Kennedy, Rachel, 2017. "Retailers' and manufacturers' price-promotion decisions: Intuitive or evidence-based?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 189-200.
More about this item
KeywordsPrice promotion; Theory-of-mind; Discount duration; Discount size; Retailer credibility; Rationales;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:68:y:2015:i:12:p:2610-2618. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.