The out-of-sample forecasts of nonlinear long-memory models of the real exchange rate
We consider a new time series model that can describe long memory and nonlinearity simultaneously and can be used to assess an extensive evaluation of the out-of-sample forecasting performance of the nonlinear long-memory model. Upon fitting it to the real exchange rate, we find that a parsimonious version of the model captures the salient features of the data rather well. We then use this nonlinear long-memory model to forecast dynamically out-of-sample over the sample period for OECD countries. Overall, we find clear evidence that favours the nonlinear long-memory model over any other estimated models. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 11 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://jws-edcv.wiley.com/jcatalog/JournalsCatalogOrder/JournalOrder?PRINT_ISSN=1076-9307|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diebold, Francis X & Husted, Steven & Rush, Mark, 1991.
"Real Exchange Rates under the Gold Standard,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1252-1271, December.
- Francis X. Diebold & Steven Husted & Mark Rush, 1990. "Real exchange rates under the gold standard," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 32, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Andersson, Michael K. & Eklund, Bruno & Lyhagen, Johan, 1999. "A simple linear time series model with misleading nonlinear properties," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 281-284, December.
- Andersson, Michael K. & Eklund, Bruno & Lyhagen, Johan, 1999. "A Simple Linear Time Series Model with Misleading Nonlinear Properties," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 300, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Taylor Mark P. & Sarno Lucio, 2001. "Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in Transition Economies: A Nonlinear Analysis," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(3), pages 1-26, October.
- DAVIDSON, Russel & MACKINNON, James G., "undated". "Heteroskedastcity-robust tests in regressions directions," CORE Discussion Papers RP 678, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1985. "Heteroskedasticity-Robust Tests in Regression Directions," Working Papers 616, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-144, January.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-263, July.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Luukkonen, Ritva, 1997. "Testing cointegration in infinite order vector autoregressive processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 93-126, November.
- West, Kenneth D & McCracken, Michael W, 1998. "Regression-Based Tests of Predictive Ability," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 817-840, November.
- West, K.D. & McCracken, M.W., 1997. "Regression-Based Tests of Predictive Ability," Working papers 9710, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Kenneth D. West & Michael W. McCracken, 1998. "Regression-Based Tests of Predictive Ability," NBER Technical Working Papers 0226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alvaro Escribano & Oscar Jorda, "undated". "Improved Testing And Specification Of Smooth Transition Regression Models," Department of Economics 97-26, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Jordá, Óscar & Escribano, Álvaro, 1997. "Improved testing and specification of smooth transition regression models," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 6218, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Oscar Jorda & Alvaro Escribano, 2003. "Improved Testing And Specification Of Smooth Transition Regression Models," Working Papers 9726, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Baillie, Richard T & Bollerslev, Tim, 1994. "The long memory of the forward premium," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 565-571, October.
- Baillie, R.T. & Bollerslev, T., 1993. "The Long Memory of the Foreward Premium," Papers 9203, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Mc Cracken, Michael W., 2000. "Robust out-of-sample inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 195-223, December.
- Clive W.J. Granger & Namwon Hyung, 2013. "Occasional Structural Breaks and Long Memory," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 14(2), pages 739-764, November.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Hyung, Namwon, 1999. "Occasional Structural Breaks and Long Memory," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt4d60t4jh, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Mark Taylor, 2006. "Real exchange rates and Purchasing Power Parity: mean-reversion in economic thought," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 1-17.
- Baum, Christopher F. & Barkoulas, John T. & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2001. "Nonlinear adjustment to purchasing power parity in the post-Bretton Woods era," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & John Barkoulas, 1998. "Nonlinear Adjustment to Purchasing Power Parity in the post-Bretton Woods Era," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 404., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 16 Nov 1999.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1990. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2010. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "EGTEST: RATS procedure to compute Engle-Granger test for Cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTS00061, Boston College Department of Economics.