Financial Stability and Monetary Policy: How Closely Interlinked?
The recent financial crisis has again raised the question to what extent price-stability-oriented monetary policy frameworks should take into account financial stability objectives. In this paper I argue that the answer will depend on three questions: (i) how effective is macroprudential policy in maintaining financial stability? (ii) what is the effect of monetary policy on risk taking and financial stability? and (iii) what is the risk of financial dominance, i.e., the risk that financial stability considerations undermine the credibility of the central bank’s price stability mandate? I review the theory and evidence and conclude that while the new macroprudential policy framework should be the main tool for maintaining financial stability, monetary policy authorities should also keep an eye on financial stability. This will allow the central bank to lean against the wind if necessary, while maintaining its primary focus on price stability over the medium term.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2010.
"The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetary policy,"
463, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Cúrdia, Vasco & Woodford, Michael, 2011. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetarypolicy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 54-79, January.
- Michael Woodford & Vasco Curdia, 2010. "The Central Bank's Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," 2010 Meeting Papers 136, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Vasco Curdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The Central-Bank Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 16208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beau, D. & Clerc, L. & Mojon, B., 2012.
"Macro-Prudential Policy and the Conduct of Monetary Policy,"
390, Banque de France.
- Denis Beau & Christophe Cahn & Laurent Clerc & Benoît Mojon, 2014. "Macro-Prudential Policy and the Conduct of Monetary Policy," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Sofía Bauducco & Lawrence Christiano & Claudio Raddatz (ed.), Macroeconomic and Financial Stability: challenges for Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 19, chapter 9, pages 273-314 Central Bank of Chile.
- Denis Beau & Christophe Cahn & Laurent Clerc & Benoît Mojon, 2013. "Macro-Prudential Policy and the Conduct of Monetary Policy," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 715, Central Bank of Chile.
- Beau, D. & Clerc, L. & Mojon, B., 2011. "Macro-prudential policy and the conduct of monetary policy," Occasional papers 8, Banque de France.
- Acharya, Viral & Naqvi, Hassan, 2012.
"The seeds of a crisis: A theory of bank liquidity and risk taking over the business cycle,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 349-366.
- Acharya, Viral V & Naqvi, Hassan, 2012. "The Seeds of a Crisis: A Theory of Bank Liquidity and Risk-Taking over the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 8851, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ignazio Angeloni, 2010.
"Monetary Policy and Risk Taking,"
- Pau Rabanal & Christopher W. Crowe & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Deniz O Igan, 2011.
"How to Deal with Real Estate Booms; Lessons from Country Experiences,"
IMF Working Papers
11/91, International Monetary Fund.
- Crowe, Christopher & Dell’Ariccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Rabanal, Pau, 2013. "How to deal with real estate booms: Lessons from country experiences," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 300-319.
- Dell’Ariccia, Giovanni & Laeven, Luc & Suarez, Gustavo A., 2016.
"Bank leverage and monetary policy's risk-taking channel: evidence from the United States,"
Working Paper Series
1903, European Central Bank.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Luc Laeven & Gustavo Suarez, 2013. "Bank Leverage and Monetary Policy's Risk-Taking Channel; Evidence from the United States," IMF Working Papers 13/143, International Monetary Fund.
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Laeven, Luc & Suarez, Gustavo, 2016. "Bank Leverage and Monetary Policy's Risk-Taking Channel: Evidence from the United States," CEPR Discussion Papers 11230, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brzoza-Brzezina, Michał & Kolasa, Marcin & Makarski, Krzysztof, 2013.
"Macroprudential policy instruments and economic imbalances in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
1589, European Central Bank.
- Michał Brzoza-Brzezina & Marcin Kolasa & Krzysztof Makarski, 2013. "Macroprudential policy and imbalances in the euro area," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 138, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Jeannine Bailliu & Césaire Meh & Yahong Zhang, 2012.
"Macroprudential Rules and Monetary Policy when Financial Frictions Matter,"
Staff Working Papers
12-6, Bank of Canada.
- Bailliu, Jeannine & Meh, Cesaire & Zhang, Yahong, 2015. "Macroprudential rules and monetary policy when financial frictions matter," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 148-161.
- Agur, I. & Demertzis, M., 2010.
"Monetary Policy and Excessive Bank Risk Taking,"
2010-30S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Stephen G Cecchetti & Marion Kohler, 2012.
"When capital adequacy and interest rate policy are substitutes (and when they are not),"
BIS Working Papers
379, Bank for International Settlements.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Marion Kohler, 2014. "When Capital Adequacy and Interest Rate Policy Are Substitutes (And When They Are Not)," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 10(3), pages 205-231, September.
- Javier Bianchi & Enrique G. Mendoza, 2010.
"Overborrowing, Financial Crises and 'Macro-prudential' Taxes,"
NBER Working Papers
16091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Javier Bianchi, 2010. "Overborrowing, financial crises and ‘macro-prudential’ taxes," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Oct.
- Borio, Claudio & Zhu, Haibin, 2012.
"Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: A missing link in the transmission mechanism?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 236-251.
- Claudio Borio & Haibin Zhu, 2008. "Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: a missing link in the transmission mechanism?," BIS Working Papers 268, Bank for International Settlements.
- Philip Lowe & Claudio Borio, 2002. "Asset prices, financial and monetary stability: exploring the nexus," BIS Working Papers 114, Bank for International Settlements.
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Faia, Ester, 2013. "Capital regulation and monetary policy with fragile banks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 311-324.
- Claudio Borio & Ilhyock Shim, 2007. "What can (macro-)prudential policy do to support monetary policy?," BIS Working Papers 242, Bank for International Settlements.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijc:ijcjou:y:2014:q:2:a:11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.