Do bank characteristics influence the effect of monetary policy on bank risk?
We analyze whether bank characteristics affect the impact of monetary policy on bank risk. We find that the insulation effects produced by capital and liquidity were lower for banks operating in countries with particularly low interest rates.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John B. Taylor, 2009. "The Financial Crisis and the Policy Responses: An Empirical Analysis of What Went Wrong," NBER Working Papers 14631, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Allen N. & Bouwman, Christa H.S., 2013. "How does capital affect bank performance during financial crises?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 146-176.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2010.
"Does monetary policy affect bank risk-taking?,"
Working Paper Series
1166, European Central Bank.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2009. "Illiquidity and Interest Rate Policy," NBER Working Papers 15197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005.
"Has financial development made the world riskier?,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Aug, pages 313-369.
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Laeven, Luc & Marquez, Robert, 2011.
"Monetary Policy, Leverage, and Bank Risk-taking,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8199, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Asli Demirguc‐Kunt & Enrica Detragiache & Ouarda Merrouche, 2013.
"Bank Capital: Lessons from the Financial Crisis,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(6), pages 1147-1164, 09.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2010. "Bank capital : lessons from the financial crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5473, The World Bank.
- Ouarda Merrouche & Enrica Detragiache & Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt, 2010. "Bank Capital; Lessons From the Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 10/286, International Monetary Fund.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995.
"Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000. "Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Yener Altunbas & Simone Manganelli & David Marques-Ibanez, 2012.
"Bank Risk during the Financial Crisis: Do business models matter?,"
12003, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Altunbas, Yener & Marqués-Ibáñez, David & Manganelli, Simone, 2011. "Bank risk during the financial crisis: do business models matter?," Working Paper Series 1394, European Central Bank.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Adrian, Tobias & Song Shin, Hyun, 2010.
"Financial Intermediaries and Monetary Economics,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 12, pages 601-650
- Dubecq, S. & Mojon, B. & Ragot, X., 2009. "Fuzzy Capital Requirements, Risk-Shifting and the Risk Taking Channel of Monetary Policy," Working papers 254, Banque de France.
- Maddaloni, Angela & Peydró, José-Luis, 2010.
"Bank risk-taking, securitization, supervision and low interest rates: Evidence from the euro area and the U.S. lending standards,"
Working Paper Series
1248, European Central Bank.
- Angela Maddaloni & Jose-Luis Peydro, 2011. "Bank Risk-taking, Securitization, Supervision, and Low Interest Rates: Evidence from the Euro-area and the U.S. Lending Standards," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 2121-2165.
- González-Aguado, Carlos & Suarez, Javier, 2011. "Interest Rates and Credit Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 8398, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hamid Mehran & Anjan Thakor, 2009.
"Bank capital and value in the cross section,"
390, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2010. "Monetary Policy and Bank Risk-Taking," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/09, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:117:y:2012:i:1:p:220-222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.