Do bank characteristics influence the effect of monetary policy on bank risk?
We analyze whether bank characteristics affect the impact of monetary policy on bank risk. We find that the insulation effects produced by capital and liquidity were lower for banks operating in countries with particularly low interest rates.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005.
"Has financial development made the world riskier?,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Aug, pages 313-369.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005. "Has Financial Development Made the World Riskier?," Working Papers id:248, eSocialSciences.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005. "Has Financial Development Made the World Riskier?," NBER Working Papers 11728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamid Mehran, 0. "Bank Capital and Value in the Cross-Section," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(4), pages 1019-1067.
- Hamid Mehran & Anjan V. Thakor, 2009. "Bank capital and value in the cross section," Staff Reports 390, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Berger, Allen N. & Bouwman, Christa H.S., 2013. "How does capital affect bank performance during financial crises?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 146-176.
- Angela Maddaloni & Jose-Luis Peydro, 2011. "Bank Risk-taking, Securitization, Supervision, and Low Interest Rates: Evidence from the Euro-area and the U.S. Lending Standards," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 2121-2165.
- Maddaloni, Angela & Peydró, José-Luis, 2010. "Bank risk-taking, securitization, supervision and low interest rates: Evidence from the euro area and the U.S. lending standards," Working Paper Series 1248, European Central Bank.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Robert Marquez & Luc Laeven, 2010. "Monetary Policy, Leverage, and Bank Risk Taking," IMF Working Papers 10/276, International Monetary Fund.
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Laeven, Luc & Marquez, Robert, 2011. "Monetary Policy, Leverage, and Bank Risk-taking," CEPR Discussion Papers 8199, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Laeven, Luc & Marquez, Robert, 2010. "Monetary Policy, Leverage, and Bank Risk-Taking," Working Papers 11-05, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Altunbas, Yener & Marqués-Ibáñez, David & Manganelli, Simone, 2011. "Bank risk during the financial crisis: do business models matter?," Working Paper Series 1394, European Central Bank.
- Yener Altunbas & Simone Manganelli & David Marques-Ibanez, 2012. "Bank Risk during the Financial Crisis: Do business models matter?," Working Papers 12003, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- John B. Taylor, 2009. "The Financial Crisis and the Policy Responses: An Empirical Analysis of What Went Wrong," NBER Working Papers 14631, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David Marques-Ibanez, 2010. "Does monetary policy affect bank risk-taking?," BIS Working Papers 298, Bank for International Settlements.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2010. "Does monetary policy affect bank risk-taking?," Working Paper Series 1166, European Central Bank.
- Adrian, Tobias & Song Shin, Hyun, 2010. "Financial Intermediaries and Monetary Economics," Handbook of Monetary Economics,in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 12, pages 601-650 Elsevier.
- Tobias Adrian & Hyun Song Shin, 2009. "Financial intermediaries and monetary economics," Staff Reports 398, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2009. "Illiquidity and Interest Rate Policy," NBER Working Papers 15197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000. "Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995. "Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2010. "Monetary Policy and Bank Risk-Taking," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/09, International Monetary Fund.
- Asli Demirguc‐Kunt & Enrica Detragiache & Ouarda Merrouche, 2013. "Bank Capital: Lessons from the Financial Crisis," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(6), pages 1147-1164, 09.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2010. "Bank capital : lessons from the financial crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5473, The World Bank.
- Ouarda Merrouche & Enrica Detragiache & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt, 2010. "Bank Capital; Lessons From the Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 10/286, International Monetary Fund.
- Dubecq, S. & Mojon, B. & Ragot, X., 2009. "Fuzzy Capital Requirements, Risk-Shifting and the Risk Taking Channel of Monetary Policy," Working papers 254, Banque de France.
- Carlos González‐Aguado & Javier Suarez, 2015. "Interest Rates and Credit Risk," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 47(2-3), pages 445-480, 03.