Monopoly Power Can Be Disadvantageous in the Extraction of a Durable Nonrenewable Resource
The authors study a Markov equilibrium for the case where a monopolist extracts a nonrenewable resource which is converted to a durable good, which then depreciates at a constant rate. They show that, in a stationary, continuous time model (infinite horizon, infinitesimal period of commitment), monopoly power can be disadvantageous. Numerical experiments confirm that this can also occur in a finite horizon, discrete model. This result is compared with previous examples of disadvantageous market power, obtained using two-period models. Copyright 1996 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 37 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0020-6598 Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coase, Ronald H, 1972. "Durability and Monopoly," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-49, April.
- Faruk Gul, 1987. "Noncooperative Collusion in Durable Goods Oligopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(2), pages 248-254, Summer.
- Kehoe, Patrick J, 1989. "Policy Cooperation among Benevolent Governments May Be Undesirable," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 289-96, April.
- Faruk Gul & Hugo Sonnenschein & Robert Wilson, 2010.
"Foundations of Dynamic Monopoly and the Coase Conjecture,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
232, David K. Levine.
- Gul, Faruk & Sonnenschein, Hugo & Wilson, Robert, 1986. "Foundations of dynamic monopoly and the coase conjecture," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 155-190, June.
- Nancy L. Stokey, 1981. "Rational Expectations and Durable Goods Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(1), pages 112-128, Spring.
- Gatsios, Konstantine & Karp, Larry, 1989.
"The Welfare Effects of Imperfect Harmonization of Trade and Industrial Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
335, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gatsios, Konstantine & Karp, Larry, 1992. "The Welfare Effects of Imperfect Harmonisation of Trade and Industrial Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(410), pages 107-16, January.
- Gatsios, Konstantine & Karp, Larry S., 1989. "The Welfare Effects of Imperfect Harmonization of Trade and Industrial Policy," Working Papers 51256, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Levhari, David & Pindyck, Robert S, 1981. "The Pricing of Durable Exhaustible Resources," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 96(3), pages 365-77, August.
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1985. "Can international monetary policy cooperation be counterproductive?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3-4), pages 199-217, May.
- Chilton, John, 1984. "The Pricing of Durable Exhaustible Resources: Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 99(3), pages 629-37, August.
- Bulow, Jeremy I, 1982. "Durable-Goods Monopolists," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(2), pages 314-32, April.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- Tsutsui, Shunichi & Mino, Kazuo, 1990. "Nonlinear strategies in dynamic duopolistic competition with sticky prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 136-161, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ier:iecrev:v:37:y:1996:i:4:p:825-49. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.