When organisations and ecosystems interact: toward a law of requisite fractality in firms
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Jan W. Rivkin, 2001. "Reproducing Knowledge: Replication Without Imitation at Moderate Complexity," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(3), pages 274-293, June.
- Philip Anderson & Alan Meyer & Kathleen Eisenhardt & Kathleen Carley & Andrew Pettigrew, 1999. "Introduction to the Special Issue: Applications of Complexity Theory to Organization Science," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 233-236, June.
- Benoit Morel & Rangaraj Ramanujam, 1999. "Through the Looking Glass of Complexity: The Dynamics of Organizations as Adaptive and Evolving Systems," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 278-293, June.
- Todd H. Chiles & Alan D. Meyer & Thomas J. Hench, 2004. "Organizational Emergence: The Origin and Transformation of Branson, Missouri's Musical Theaters," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(5), pages 499-519, October.
- Winter, Sidney G., 1984. "Schumpeterian competition in alternative technological regimes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 287-320.
- Eom, Cheoljun & Choi, Sunghoon & Oh, Gabjin & Jung, Woo-Sung, 2008. "Hurst exponent and prediction based on weak-form efficient market hypothesis of stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(18), pages 4630-4636.
- Axelrod, Robert & Bennett, D. Scott, 1993. "A Landscape Theory of Aggregation," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 211-233, April.
- Daniel A. Levinthal, 1991. "Organizational Adaptation and Environmental Selection-Interrelated Processes of Change," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 140-145, February.
- Alan D. Meyer & Vibha Gaba & Kenneth A. Colwell, 2005. "Organizing Far from Equilibrium: Nonlinear Change in Organizational Fields," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(5), pages 456-473, October.
- Ishikawa, Atushi, 2006. "Pareto index induced from the scale of companies," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 363(2), pages 367-376.
- Dahui, Wang & Li, Zhou & Zengru, Di, 2006. "Bipartite producer–consumer networks and the size distribution of firms," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 363(2), pages 359-366.
- Calvet, Laurent E. & Fisher, Adlai J., 2008. "Multifractal Volatility," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780121500139.
- Wanfeng Yan & Ryan Woodard & Didier Sornette, 2010. "Diagnosis and Prediction of Tipping Points in Financial Markets: Crashes and Rebounds," Papers 1001.0265, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2010.
- Geoffrey B. West & James H. Brown & Brian J. Enquist, 1997. "A General Model for the Origin of Allometric Scaling Laws in Biology," Working Papers 97-03-019, Santa Fe Institute.
- Drossel, B. & Schwabl, F., 1992. "Self-organized criticality in a forest-fire model," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 191(1), pages 47-50.
- Philip Anderson, 1999. "Perspective: Complexity Theory and Organization Science," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 216-232, June.
- Robert Drazin & Lloyd Sandelands, 1992. "Autogenesis: A Perspective on the Process of Organizing," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(2), pages 230-249, May.
- Yu-Ting Cheng & Andrew H. Van de Ven, 1996. "Learning the Innovation Journey: Order out of Chaos?," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(6), pages 593-614, December.
- Fleming, Lee & Sorenson, Olav, 2001. "Technology as a complex adaptive system: evidence from patent data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1019-1039, August.
- Catherine Thomas & Renata Kaminska-Labbé & Bill Mckelvey, 2012. "Building Ambidexterity into a firm: The control/autonomy dilemma revisited," Post-Print halshs-00786574, HAL.
- Bill McKelvey, 1997. "Perspective---Quasi-Natural Organization Science," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(4), pages 351-380, August.
- Podobnik, Boris & Fu, Dongfeng & Jagric, Timotej & Grosse, Ivo & Eugene Stanley, H., 2006. "Fractionally integrated process for transition economics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 362(2), pages 465-470.
- Lichtenstein, Benyamin B. & Carter, Nancy M. & Dooley, Kevin J. & Gartner, William B., 2007. "Complexity dynamics of nascent entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 236-261, March.
- Kathleen M. Carley & David M. Svoboda, 1996. "Modeling Organizational Adaptation as a Simulated Annealing Process," Sociological Methods & Research, , vol. 25(1), pages 138-168, August.
- Kenneth E. Boulding, 1956. "General Systems Theory--The Skeleton of Science," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 197-208, April.
- Sornette, Didier & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2006.
"Predictability of large future changes in major financial indices,"
International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 153-168.
- D. Sornette & W. -X. Zhou, 2003. "Predictability of large future changes in major financial indices," Papers cond-mat/0304601, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2004.
- Pierpaolo Andriani & Bill McKelvey, 2009. "Perspective ---From Gaussian to Paretian Thinking: Causes and Implications of Power Laws in Organizations," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(6), pages 1053-1071, December.
- Michael Cohen, 1999. "Commentary on the Organization Science Special Issue on Complexity," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 373-376, June.
- Daniel A. Levinthal, 1997. "Adaptation on Rugged Landscapes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(7), pages 934-950, July.
- Michael J. Lenox & Scott F. Rockart & Arie Y. Lewin, 2006. "Interdependency, Competition, and the Distribution of Firm and Industry Profits," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(5), pages 757-772, May.
- Maskawa, Jun-ichi, 2007. "Stock price fluctuations and the mimetic behaviors of traders," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 382(1), pages 172-178.
- Kumar, Sunil & Deo, Nivedita, 2009. "Multifractal properties of the Indian financial market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(8), pages 1593-1602.
- Malerba, Franco, et al, 1999. "'History-Friendly' Models of Industry Evolution: The Computer Industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 3-40, March.
- Laurent Calvet & Adlai Fisher, 2008. "Multifractal Volatility: Theory, Forecasting and Pricing," Post-Print hal-00671877, HAL.
- Du, Guoxiong & Ning, Xuanxi, 2008. "Multifractal properties of Chinese stock market in Shanghai," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(1), pages 261-269.
- Robert Macintosh & Donald Maclean, 1999. "Conditioned emergence: a dissipative structures approach to transformation," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(4), pages 297-316, April.
- Daniel A. Levinthal & Massimo Warglien, 1999. "Landscape Design: Designing for Local Action in Complex Worlds," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 342-357, June.
- John Seely Brown & Paul Duguid, 1991. "Organizational Learning and Communities-of-Practice: Toward a Unified View of Working, Learning, and Innovation," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 40-57, February.
- Joshua M. Epstein & Robert L. Axtell, 1996. "Growing Artificial Societies: Social Science from the Bottom Up," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262550253, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christopher Crawford, G. & McKelvey, Bill & Lichtenstein, Benyamin B., 2014. "The empirical reality of entrepreneurship: How power law distributed outcomes call for new theory and method," Journal of Business Venturing Insights, Elsevier, vol. 1, pages 3-7.
- Mary Han & Bill McKelvey, 2016. "How to Grow Successful Social Entrepreneurship Firms? Key Ideas from Complexity Theory," Journal of Enterprising Culture (JEC), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 24(03), pages 243-280, September.
More about this item
Keywordscomplexity science; dissipative structures; self-organisation; adaptation; power laws; scale-free causes; organisation design; organisational performance; requisite fractality; Ashby's law; dynamic environments; implications; phase transitions; simulation.;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijclma:v:2:y:2012:i:1/2:p:104-136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmel O'Grady) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Carmel O'Grady to update the entry or send us the correct email address. General contact details of provider: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=345 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.