The effect of legal barriers to entry in the Spanish retail market: a local market approach
Recent studies have shown that barriers to entry for large retail establishments in Spain have been increased in the last decade. Using information on local markets, we test whether the entry of large retail establishments was effectively limited by regional regulation and whether it effectively protected in-town shops from competition. We find that if entry barriers were reduced to their average level in 1997, the number of large retail establishments would increase by 11.7%. We also find that over-regulation in 1997 has improved in-town shops’ market position, with their number increasing by 13.8%.
Volume (Year): 193 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Cardenal Herrera Oria, 378, 28035 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M.ª de los Llanos Matea & Juan S. Mora, 2007. "Una aproximación a la regulación del comercio al por menor a partir de indicadores sintéticos," Boletín Económico, Banco de España;Boletín Económico Homepage, issue OCT, Octubre.
- Alexander W. Hoffmaister, 2006.
"Barriers to Retail Competition and Prices; Evidence From Spain,"
IMF Working Papers
06/231, International Monetary Fund.
- Alexander W. Hoffmaister, 2010. "Barriers to retail competition and prices: evidence from Spain," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(2), pages 395-416, April.
- Jeffrey Campbell, 2000.
"Market Size Matters,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1225, Econometric Society.
- Barros, Pedro Pita & Brito, Duarte & de Lucena, Diogo, 2006. "Mergers in the food retailing sector: An empirical investigation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 447-468, February.
- Asplund, Marcus & Friberg, Richard, 2002. " Food Prices and Market Structure in Sweden," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(4), pages 547-566, December.
- Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2003.
"Regulation, productivity, and growth : OECD evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2944, The World Bank.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, productivity and growth: OECD evidence," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(36), pages 9-72, 04.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, Productivity and Growth: OECD Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 347, OECD Publishing.
- Chen, Natalie, 2004.
"The behaviour of relative prices in the European Union: A sectoral analysis,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1257-1286, December.
- Chen, Natalie, 2002. "The Behaviour of Relative Prices in the European Union: A Sectoral Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 3320, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michele Cincera & Olivia Galgau, 2005.
"Impact of Market Entry and Exit on EU Productivity and Growth Performance,"
- Michele Cincera, 2004. "Impact of market entry and exit on EU productivity and growth performance," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/921, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michele Cincera & Olivia Galgau, 2005. "Impact of market entry and exit on EU productivity and growth performance," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 222, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Cotterill, Ronald W, 1986. "Market Power in the Retail Food Industry: Evidence from Vermont," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 379-386, August.
- Griffith, Rachel & Harmgart, Heike, 2008. "Supermarkets and Planning Regulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 6713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javier Miranda & Shawn Klimek & Ron Jarmin, 2004. "Firm Entry and Exit in the U.S. Retail Sector, 1977-1997," Working Papers 04-17, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Howard Smith, 2004. "Supermarket Choice and Supermarket Competition in Market Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(1), pages 235-263.
- Mark D. Manuszak & Charles C. Moul, 2008. "PRICES AND ENDOGENOUS MARKET STRUCTURE IN OFFICE SUPPLY SUPERSTORES -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 94-112, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:journl:y:2010:v:193:i:2:p:49-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.