An Inquiry into the Status and Nature of University-Industry Research Collaborations in Japan and Korea
University-industry collaboration (UIC) has become an increasingly frequent innovation strategy, especially in the Western hemisphere. But we know much less about such research collaborations in East Asia. This study explores and contrasts the current nature and status of UICs in Japan and Korea focusing on factors that facilitate the development and management of such research linkages. The findings indicate that UICs are path dependent, i.e. firms benefit from their experience with previous projects when collaborating with universities. At the same time, cultural factors appear to result in significant differences in the organization of UICs in Japan and Korea.
Volume (Year): 49 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +81-42-580-8000|
Web page: http://www.econ.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fritsch, Michael & Lukas, Rolf, 2001.
"Who cooperates on R&D?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 297-312, February.
- Fritsch, Michael & Lukas, Rolf, 1998. "Who Cooperates on R&D?," Freiberg Working Papers 1998,12, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Fritsch, M. & Lukas, R., 1998. "Who Cooperates on R & D ?," Papers 98/12, Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2005. "University-industry collaborations in Japan: The role of new technology-based firms in transforming the National Innovation System," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 583-594, June.
- Masao Nakamura & Pierre Mohnen & Cathy Hoareau, 2003.
"What type of enterprise forges close links with universities and government labs? Evidence from CIS 2,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2-3), pages 133-145.
- Mohnen Pierre & Hoareau Cathy, 2002. "What type of enterprise forges close links with universities and government labs? Evidence from CIS2," Research Memorandum 009, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Cathy Hoareau & Pierre Mohnen, 2002. "What Type Of Enterprise Forges Close Links With Universities And Government Labs? Evidence From CIS 2," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-25, CIRANO.
- Bercovitz, Janet E.L. & Feldman, Maryann P., 2007. "Fishing upstream: Firm innovation strategy and university research alliances," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 930-948, September.
- Leydesdorff, Loet & Meyer, Martin, 2006. "Triple Helix indicators of knowledge-based innovation systems: Introduction to the special issue," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1441-1449, December.
- Kodama, Toshihiro, 2008. "The role of intermediation and absorptive capacity in facilitating university-industry linkages--An empirical study of TAMA in Japan," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1224-1240, September.
- Lynne G. Zucker & Michael R. Darby, 1998.
"Capturing Technological Opportunity via Japan's Star Scientists: Evidence from Japanese Firms' Biotech Patents and Products,"
NBER Working Papers
6360, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zucker, Lynne G & Darby, Michael R, 2001. "Capturing Technological Opportunity via Japan's Star Scientists: Evidence from Japanese Firms' Biotech Patents and Products," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 26(1-2), pages 37-58, January.
- Meyer-Krahmer, Frieder & Schmoch, Ulrich, 1998. "Science-based technologies: university-industry interactions in four fields," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 835-851, December.
- Hertzfeld, Henry R. & Link, Albert N. & Vonortas, Nicholas S., 2006.
"Intellectual property protection mechanisms in research partnerships,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 825-838, July.
- Henry R. Hertzfeld & Albert N. Link & Nicholas S. Vonortas, 2004. "Intellectual Property Protection Mechanisms in Research Partnerships," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-43, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Woolgar, Lee, 2007. "New institutional policies for university-industry links in Japan," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1261-1274, October.
- Lewis M. Branscomb & Fumio Kodama & Richard Florida (ed.), 1999. "Industrializing Knowledge: University-Industry Linkages in Japan and the United States," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262024659.
- George, Gerard & Zahra, Shaker A. & Wood, D. Jr., 2002. "The effects of business-university alliances on innovative output and financial performance: a study of publicly traded biotechnology companies," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 577-609, October.
- Petr Hanel & Marc St-Pierre, 2006. "Industry–University Collaboration by Canadian Manufacturing Firms," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 485-499, 07.
- Jeffrey H Dyer & Wujin Chu, 2000. "The Determinants of Trust in Supplier-Automaker Relationships in the U.S., Japan and Korea," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 31(2), pages 259-285, June.
- Tether, Bruce S., 2002. "Who co-operates for innovation, and why: An empirical analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 947-967, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hitjec:v:49:y:2008:i:2:p:163-180. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.