Central Bank Forecasts as a Coordination Device: Evidence from the Czech Republic
Do private analysts coordinate their forecasts via central bank forecasts? In this paper, we examine private and central bank forecasts for the Czech Republic. The evolution of the standard deviation of private forecasts as well as the distance from the central bank’s forecasts are used to study whether a coordination effect exists, how it is influenced by uncertainty, and the effects of changes in central bank communication. The results suggest that private analysts coordinate their forecasts for the interest rate and inflation, while no or limited evidence exists for the exchange rate and GDP growth.
Volume (Year): 6 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Opletalova 26, CZ-110 00 Prague|
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://auco.cuni.cz/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2002. "Social Value of Public Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1521-1534, December.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P., 2006.
"How transparent are central banks?,"
Other publications TiSEM
b34dfb1f-520f-4787-a08f-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P.M., 2004. "How Transparent Are Central Banks?," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0411, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Geraats, Petra M, 2002. "How Transparent are Central Banks?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3188, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2004.
"Can Central Bank Transparency Go Too Far?,"
NBER Working Papers
10829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2007. "Social value of public information: testing the limits to transparency," Working Paper Series 0821, European Central Bank.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Eijffinger, Sylvester & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2010.
"The role of central bank transparency for guiding private sector forecasts,"
Working Paper Series
1146, European Central Bank.
- Michael Ehrmann & Sylvester Eijffinger & Marcel Fratzscher, 2012. "The Role of Central Bank Transparency for Guiding Private Sector Forecasts," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 114(3), pages 1018-1052, 09.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2009. "The role of central bank transparency for guiding private sector forecasts," CEPR Discussion Papers 7585, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Tesfaselassie, M.F., 2007.
"Central bank forecasts and disclosure policy : Why it pays to be optimisitic,"
Other publications TiSEM
22defe88-78bb-439d-9a38-8, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester & Tesfaselassie, Mewael F., 2007. "Central Bank forecasts and disclosure policy: Why it pays to be optimistic," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 30-50, March.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Tesfaselassie, Mewael F., 2005. "Central Bank Forecasts and Disclosure Policy: Why it Pays to be Optimistic," CEPR Discussion Papers 4854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ales Bulir & Katerina Smidkova & Viktor Kotlan & David Navratil, 2007. "Inflation Targeting and Communication: Should the Public Read Inflation Reports or Tea Leaves?," Working Papers 2007/14, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Sunil Sharma & Sushil Bikhchandani, 2000. "Herd Behavior in Financial Markets; A Review," IMF Working Papers 00/48, International Monetary Fund.
- Fujiwara, Ippei, 2005. "Is the central bank's publication of economic forecasts influential?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 255-261, December.
- David Navratil & Viktor Kotlan, 2005.
"The CNB's Policy Decisions - Are They Priced in by the Markets?,"
Research and Policy Notes
2005/01, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- David Navrátil & Viktor Kotlán, 2005. "The CNB’s Policy Decisions – Are They Priced in by the Markets?," Macroeconomics 0503005, EconWPA.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Craig Hakkio, 2009.
"Inflation targeting and private sector forecasts,"
NBER Working Papers
15424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jiri Bohm & Petr Kral & Branislav Saxa, 2009. "Perception is Always Right: The CNBâ€™s Monetary Policy in the Media," Working Papers 2009/10, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-491, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:aucocz:au2012_244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Stastna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.