El efecto de los impuestos a las transacciones financieras en la estabilidad de los mercados de capital. Un debate sin resolver
This paper analyzes the current debate on the effectiveness and impact of financial transaction taxes (FTT). Despite their regular use in several G-20 countries, there remain unexplained many aspects related to their impact on the stability of financial markets. Thus, although the academic literature tends to agree on the adverse effects of FTT on the trading volume and the value of financial assets, this is not the case in relation to their impact on short-term and long-term price volatility, the price discovery process, and the informational efficiency of financial markets.// El presente artículo analiza el debate en torno de la efectividad y las repercusiones de los impuestos a las transacciones financieras (ITF). A pesar de su uso habitual en varios países del G-20, quedan sin explicar muchos aspectos relacionados con su efecto en la estabilidad de los mercados financieros. Así, aunque la bibliografía académica suele coincidir en los efectos adversos de los ITF en el volumen de operaciones y el valor de los activos, no ocurre lo mismo en relación con sus repercusiones en la volatilidad de los precios a corto y a largo plazos, el proceso de descubrimiento de precios y la eficiencia informativa de los mercados.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): LXXX (1) (2013)
Issue (Month): 317 (enero-marzo)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.fondodeculturaeconomica.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Order print issues directly in our web page or with Guadalupe Galicia at Fondo de Cultura Económica, El Trimestre Económico, Carretera Picacho Ajusco 227, 6° piso,Col. Bosques del Pedregal, CP 14738, Tlalpan, Ciudad de México|
Web: http://www.eltrimestreeconomico.com.mx Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Ehrenstein & F. Westerhoff & D. Stauffer, 2003.
"Tobin tax and market depth,"
- Markku Lanne & Timo Vesalay, 2005.
"The Effect of a Transaction Tax on Exchange Rate Volatility,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2005/19, European University Institute.
- Markku Lanne & Timo Vesala, 2010. "The effect of a transaction tax on exchange rate volatility," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 123-133.
- Lanne, Markku & Vesala, Timo, 2006. "The effect of a transaction tax on exchange rate volatility," Research Discussion Papers 11/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Badi Baltagi & Dong Li & Qi Li, 2006. "Transaction tax and stock market behavior: evidence from an emerging market," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 393-408, June.
- James Tobin, 1978.
"A Proposal for International Monetary Reform,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 4(3-4), pages 153-159, Jul/Oct.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1991. "Efficient investment incentives in the presence of capital flight," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 171-181, August.
- Umlauf, Steven R., 1993. "Transaction taxes and the behavior of the Swedish stock market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 227-240, April.
- Foucault, Thierry & Sraer, David & Thesmar, David, 2008.
"Individual Investors and Volatility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6915, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thierry Foucault & David Thesmar & David Sraer, 8/07. "Individual Investors and Volatility," Working Papers hal-00578370, HAL.
- Thierry Foucault & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 1/08. "Individual Investors and Volatility," Post-Print hal-00630297, HAL.
- Foucault, Thierry & Themar, David & Sraer, David, 2008. "Individual investors and volatility," Les Cahiers de Recherche 899, HEC Paris.
- Yongyang Su & Lan Zheng, 2011. "The Impact of Securities Transaction Taxes on the Chinese Stock Market," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(0), pages 32-46, January.
- Hu, Shing-yang, 1998. "The effects of the stock transaction tax on the stock market - Experiences from Asian markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(3-4), pages 347-364, August.
- Marc Schaberg & Dean Baker & Robert Pollin, 2002.
"Securities Transaction Taxes for U.S. Financial Markets,"
wp20, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Robert Pollin & Dean Baker & Marc Schaberg, 2003. "Securities Transaction Taxes for U.S. Financial Markets," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 527-558, Fall.
- Pellizzari, Paolo & Westerhoff, Frank, 2009.
"Some effects of transaction taxes under different microstructures,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 850-863, December.
- Paolo Pelizzari & Frank Westerhoff, 2007. "Some Effects of Transaction Taxes Under Different Microstructures," Research Paper Series 212, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Paolo Pellizzari & Frank Westerhoff, 9/04. "Some effects of transaction taxes under different microstructures," Post-Print hal-00727590, HAL.
- Paolo Pellizzari & Frank Westerhoff, 2009. "Some effects of transaction taxes under different microstructures," Working Papers 190, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- P. Bernd Spahn, 1995. "International Financial Flows and Transactions Taxes; Survey and Options," IMF Working Papers 95/60, International Monetary Fund.
- Janet Gale Stotsky & Parthasarathi Shome, 1995. "Financial Transactions Taxes," IMF Working Papers 95/77, International Monetary Fund.
- Shinhua Liu & Zhen Zhu, 2009. "Transaction Costs and Price Volatility: New Evidence from the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 65-83, August.
- Frank Westerhoff, 2004.
"The effectiveness of Keynes-Tobin transaction taxes when heterogeneous agents can trade in different markets: A behavioral finance approach,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2004
14, Society for Computational Economics.
- Westerhoff, Frank H. & Dieci, Roberto, 2006. "The effectiveness of Keynes-Tobin transaction taxes when heterogeneous agents can trade in different markets: A behavioral finance approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 293-322, February.
- Davidson, Paul, 1997. "Are Grains of Sand in the Wheels of International Finance Sufficient to Do the Job When Boulders Are Often Required?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 671-86, May.
- Christopher J. Neely, 1999. "An introduction to capital controls," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 13-30.
- Stiglitz, J.E., 1989. "Using Tax Policy To Curb Speculative Short-Term Trading," Papers t2, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Hau, Harald, 2002.
"The Role of Transaction Costs for Financial Volatility: Evidence from the Paris Bourse,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3651, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harald Hau, 2006. "The Role of Transaction Costs for Financial Volatility: Evidence from the Paris Bourse," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(4), pages 862-890, 06.
- Summers, L.H. & Summers, V.P., 1989. "When Financial Markets Work Too Well : A Cautious Case For A Securities Transactions Tax," Papers t12, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Kang Shi & Juanyi Xu, 2009. "Entry cost, the Tobin tax, and noise trading in the foreign exchange market," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1501-1526, November.
- De Long, J. Bradford & Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H. & Waldmann, Robert J., 1990.
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
3725552, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- George Fane, 2000. "Capital Mobility, Exchange Rates and Economic Crises," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1466, June.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1986.
"Special Exchange Rates for Capital Account Transactions,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 3-33, September.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1985. "Special Exchange Rates for Capital Account Transactions," NBER Working Papers 1659, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mannaro, Katiuscia & Marchesi, Michele & Setzu, Alessio, 2008. "Using an artificial financial market for assessing the impact of Tobin-like transaction taxes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 445-462, August.
- Thornton Matheson, 2011. "Taxing Financial Transactions; Issues and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 11/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Green, Christopher J. & Maggioni, Paolo & Murinde, Victor, 2000. "Regulatory lessons for emerging stock markets from a century of evidence on transactions costs and share price volatility in the London Stock Exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 577-601, April.
- Frank M. Song & Junxi Zhang, 2005. "Securities Transaction Tax and Market Volatility," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 1103-1120, October.
- Jones, Charles M & Seguin, Paul J, 1997. "Transaction Costs and Price Volatility: Evidence from Commission Deregulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 728-37, September.
- Kate Phylaktis & Antonis Aristidou, 2007. "Security transaction taxes and financial volatility: Athens stock exchange," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(18), pages 1455-1467.
- Victoria Saporta & Kamhon Kan, 1997. "The effects of Stamp Duty on the Level and Volatility of Equity Prices," Bank of England working papers 71, Bank of England.
- Roll, R., 1989. "Price Volatility, International Market Links, And Their Implications For Regulatory Policies," Papers t10, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Liviatan, Nissan, 1980. "Anti-Inflationary Monetary Policy and the Capital Import Tax," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 171, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1996. "International Money: Postwar Trends and Theories," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780198775133, December.
- Adams, Charles & Greenwood, Jeremy, 1985. "Dual exchange rate systems and capital controls: An investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 43-63, February.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Froot, Kenneth A, 1990. "Chartists, Fundamentalists, and Trading in the Foreign Exchange Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 181-85, May.
- Allen, Helen & Taylor, Mark P, 1990. "Charts, Noise and Fundamentals in the London Foreign Exchange Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 49-59, Supplemen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:elt:journl:v:80:y:2013:i:317:p:207-231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rosa María González Mejía)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.