Security transaction taxes: issues and evidence
In reaction to the financial crisis, increased attention has recently been given to security transaction taxes (STTs) as a means of (1) raising revenue for a variety of possible purposes and/or (2) helping to curb financial market excesses. This paper reviews existing theory and evidence on the efficacy of an STT in fulfilling those tasks, on its potential impact, and on key issues to be faced in designing taxes of this kind. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:P.O. Box 86 04 46, 81631 Munich, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)89-9224-1281
Fax: +49 (0)89-907795-2281
Web page: http://www.iipf.org/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/public+finance/journal/10797/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Green, Christopher J. & Maggioni, Paolo & Murinde, Victor, 2000. "Regulatory lessons for emerging stock markets from a century of evidence on transactions costs and share price volatility in the London Stock Exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 577-601, April.
- Marc Schaberg & Dean Baker & Robert Pollin, 2002.
"Securities Transaction Taxes for U.S. Financial Markets,"
wp20, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Robert Pollin & Dean Baker & Marc Schaberg, 2003. "Securities Transaction Taxes for U.S. Financial Markets," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 527-558, Fall.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1990.
"Herd on the Street: Informational Inefficiencies in a Market with Short-Term Speculation,"
NBER Working Papers
3250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharftstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1992. " Herd on the Street: Informational Inefficiencies in a Market with Short-Term Speculation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1461-84, September.
- Dominique Dupont & Gabriel Lee, 2007.
"Effects of Securities Transaction Taxes on Depth and Bid-Ask Spread,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 31(2), pages 393-400, May.
- Dupont, Dominique Y. & Lee, Gabriel S., 2003. "Effects of Securities Transaction Taxes on Depth and Bid-Ask Spread," Economics Series 132, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- French, Kenneth R. & Roll, Richard, 1986. "Stock return variances : The arrival of information and the reaction of traders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 5-26, September.
- Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 1998. "Transaction Taxes and Financial Market Equilibrium," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(1), pages 81-118, January.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1968.
"The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk Taking,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
248, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- J. E. Stiglitz, 1969. "The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk-Taking," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 83(2), pages 263-283.
- Paolo Pellizzari & Frank Westerhoff, 2009.
"Some effects of transaction taxes under different microstructures,"
- Pellizzari, Paolo & Westerhoff, Frank, 2009. "Some effects of transaction taxes under different microstructures," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 850-863, December.
- Paolo Pellizzari & Frank Westerhoff, 2009. "Some effects of transaction taxes under different microstructures," Working Papers 190, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Paolo Pelizzari & Frank Westerhoff, 2007. "Some Effects of Transaction Taxes Under Different Microstructures," Research Paper Series 212, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Michael Hanke & J?rgen Huber & Michael Kirchler & Matthias Sutter, 2007.
"The economic consequences of a Tobin tax - An experimental analysis,"
2007-18, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Hanke, Michael & Huber, Jürgen & Kirchler, Michael & Sutter, Matthias, 2010. "The economic consequences of a Tobin tax--An experimental analysis," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-2), pages 58-71, May.
- James Tobin, 1978.
"A Proposal for International Monetary Reform,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 4(3-4), pages 153-159, Jul/Oct.
- John Brondolo, 2011. "Taxing Financial Transactions; An Assessment of Administrative Feasibility," IMF Working Papers 11/185, International Monetary Fund.
- Harry Huizinga, 2002. "A European VAT on financial services?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 497-534, October.
- Westerhoff, Frank H. & Dieci, Roberto, 2006.
"The effectiveness of Keynes-Tobin transaction taxes when heterogeneous agents can trade in different markets: A behavioral finance approach,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 293-322, February.
- Frank Westerhoff, 2004. "The effectiveness of Keynes-Tobin transaction taxes when heterogeneous agents can trade in different markets: A behavioral finance approach," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 14, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hendershott, Terrence & Jones, Charles M. & Menkveld, Albert J., 2008.
"Does algorithmic trading improve liquidity?,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2008/41, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2000. "Bubbles and Crises," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 236-55, January.
- Badi Baltagi & Dong Li & Qi Li, 2006. "Transaction tax and stock market behavior: evidence from an emerging market," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 393-408, June.
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production: I--Production Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 8-27, March.
- Frank M. Song & Junxi Zhang, 2005. "Securities Transaction Tax and Market Volatility," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 1103-1120, October.
- Barclay, Michael J & Litzenberger, Robert H & Warner, Jerold B, 1990. "Private Information, Trading Volume, and Stock-Return Variances," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 233-53.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009.
"The Second Great Contraction,"
21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters, in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973, 01-2013.
- Umlauf, Steven R., 1993. "Transaction taxes and the behavior of the Swedish stock market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 227-240, April.
- Jones, Charles M & Seguin, Paul J, 1997. "Transaction Costs and Price Volatility: Evidence from Commission Deregulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 728-37, September.
- Shinhua Liu, 2007. "Securities Transaction Tax and Market Efficiency: Evidence from the Japanese Experience," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 32(3), pages 161-176, December.
- Li, Geng, 2009.
"Transaction costs and consumption,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1263-1277, June.
- Harald Hau, 2006.
"The Role of Transaction Costs for Financial Volatility: Evidence from the Paris Bourse,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 4(4), pages 862-890, 06.
- Hau, Harald, 2002. "The Role of Transaction Costs for Financial Volatility: Evidence from the Paris Bourse," CEPR Discussion Papers 3651, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xu, Juanyi, 2010. "Noise traders, exchange rate disconnect puzzle, and the Tobin tax," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 336-357, March.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, .
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers
_124, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Hu, Shing-yang, 1998. "The effects of the stock transaction tax on the stock market - Experiences from Asian markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(3-4), pages 347-364, August.
- Constantinides, George M, 1986. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Transaction Costs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 842-62, August.
- Roll, R., 1989. "Price Volatility, International Market Links, And Their Implications For Regulatory Policies," Papers t10, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Summers, L.H. & Summers, V.P., 1989. "When Financial Markets Work Too Well : A Cautious Case For A Securities Transactions Tax," Papers t12, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Stiglitz, J.E., 1989. "Using Tax Policy To Curb Speculative Short-Term Trading," Papers t2, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Brad M. Barber & Terrance Odean, 2000. "Trading Is Hazardous to Your Wealth: The Common Stock Investment Performance of Individual Investors," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 773-806, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:itaxpf:v:19:y:2012:i:6:p:884-912. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.