Did Jose Canseco Really Improve the Performance of His Teammates by Spreading Steroids? A Critique of Gould and Kaplan
In an article titled “Learning Unethical Practices from a Co-worker: The Peer Effect of Jose Canseco,” published in Labour Economics in 2011, Eric Gould and Todd Kaplan use baseball player Jose Canseco to study peer effects among co-workers. Their analysis focuses on Canseco spreading knowledge of performance-enhancing drugs to teammates. The authors claim to find evidence of Canseco’s influence through the improved performance of his former teammates. This paper reexamines the performance of Canseco’s teammates and finds no empirical evidence of a performance improvement among Canseco’s teammates. In addition, I contend that Gould and Kaplan’s own empirical findings do not support some of the claims they make.
Volume (Year): 10 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Enterprise Hall, Room 354, 4400 University Drive, 3G4 Fairfax, VA 22030|
Phone: (703) 993-1151
Web page: https://econjwatch.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gould, Eric D. & Kaplan, Todd R., 2011.
"Learning unethical practices from a co-worker: The peer effect of Jose Canseco,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 338-348, June.
- Gould, Eric D & Kaplan, Todd, 2007. "Learning Unethical Practices from a Co-worker: The Peer Effect of Jose Canseco," CEPR Discussion Papers 6550, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gould, Eric & Kaplan, Todd R, 2010. "Learning unethical practices from a co-worker: the peer effect of Jose Canseco," MPRA Paper 24232, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gould, Eric D. & Kaplan, Todd R., 2008. "Learning Unethical Practices from a Co-worker: The Peer Effect of Jose Canseco," IZA Discussion Papers 3328, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arthur De Vany, 2011. "Steroids And Home Runs," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(2), pages 489-511, 04.
- John Charles Bradbury & Douglas J. Drinen, 2008. "Pigou at the Plate," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 9(2), pages 211-224, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ejw:journl:v:10:y:2013:i:1:p:40-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jason Briggeman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.