The Perceived Impact of the In-Trust Agreements on CGIAR Germplasm Availability: An Assessment of Bioversity International's Institutional Activities
Summary This study assesses the generation and consequences of the In-Trust Agreements (ITAs) that established the legal status of the CGIAR germplasm as freely available for the benefit of humanity under the auspices of FAO. The analysis looks at the history of the ITAs and focuses on the role of Bioversity International in research and other activities in influencing, facilitating and enabling the ITA negotiations. Results confirm the central role of Bioversity and policy research in the negotiations process. Concepts developed during the ITA negotiations contributed toward subsequent multilateral negotiations that eventually culminated in the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evenson, R.E. & Gollin, D., 1994.
"Genetic Resources, International Organizations, and the Rice Varietal Improvement,"
713, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Evenson, Robert E & Gollin, Douglas, 1997. "Genetic Resources, International Organizations, and Improvement in Rice Varieties," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 471-500, April.
- Sauve, Raphael & Watts, Jamie, 2003. "An analysis of IPGRI's influence on the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 307-327, November.
- P.M.S. Jones, 1994. "The Value of Diversity," Energy & Environment, SAGE Publishing, vol. 5(3), pages 215-225, September.
- Falcon, W. P. & Fowler, C., 2002. "Carving up the commons--emergence of a new international regime for germplasm development and transfer," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 197-222, June.
- Pardey, Philip G. & Koo, Bonwoo & Wright, Brian D. & Van Dusen, M. Eric & Skovmand, Bent & Taba, Suketoshi, 1999. "Costing the ex situ conservation of genetic resources: maize and wheat at CIMMYT," EPTD discussion papers 52, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Day-Rubenstein, Kelly A. & Heisey, Paul W. & Shoemaker, Robbin A. & Sullivan, John & Frisvold, George B., 2005. "Crop Genetic Resources: An Economic Appraisal," Economic Information Bulletin 59388, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:38:y:2010:i:10:p:1486-1493. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.