What Happens When Relative Costs Increase in Export Processing Zones? Technology, Regional Production Networks, and Mexico's Maquiladoras
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bair, Jennifer & Gereffi, Gary, 2001. "Local Clusters in Global Chains: The Causes and Consequences of Export Dynamism in Torreon's Blue Jeans Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1885-1903, November.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael, 1993. "Export Processing Zones in the Dominican Republic: Transforming manufactures into commodities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(11), pages 1851-1865, November.
- Sargent, John & Matthews, Linda, 2001. "Combining Export Processing Zones and Regional Free Trade Agreements: Lessons From the Mexican Experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1739-1752, October.
- Willmore, Larry, 1995. "Export processing zones in the Dominican Republic: A comment on Kaplinsky," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 529-535, March.
- Thomas Fullerton & David Schauer, 2001. "Short-run maquiladora employment dynamics," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 7(4), pages 471-478, November.
- Sargent, John & Matthews, Linda, 2003. "Boom and bust: Is it the end of Mexico's maquiladoras?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 57-64.
- Buitelaar, Rudolf M. & Perez, Ramon Padilla, 2000. "Maquila, Economic Reform and Corporate Strategies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1627-1642, September.
- William C. Gruben, 2001. "Was NAFTA behind Mexico's high maquiladora growth?," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q III, pages 11-21.
- Sargent, John & Matthews, Linda, 1997. "Skill development and integrated manufacturing in Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1669-1681, October.
- Johansson, Helena & Nilsson, Lars, 1997. "Export processing zones as catalysts," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2115-2128, December.
- Ver Beek, Kurt Alan, 2001. "Maquiladoras: Exploitation or Emancipation? An Overview of the Situation of Maquiladora Workers in Honduras," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1553-1567, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jesús Cañas & Roberto Coronado & Robert W. Gilmer & Eduardo Saucedo, 2013.
"The Impact of the Maquiladora Industry on U.S. Border Cities,"
Growth and Change,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 415-442, September.
- Cañas, Jesús & Coronado, Roberto & Gilmer, Robert W. & Saucedo, Eduardo, 2011. "The impact of the maquiladora industry on U.S. border cities," Working Papers 1107, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Jordaan, Jacob A., 2011. "FDI, Local Sourcing, and Supportive Linkages with Domestic Suppliers: The Case of Monterrey, Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 620-632, April.
- Thomas Fullerton & Adam Walke, 2014. "Homicides, exchange rates, and northern border retail activity in Mexico," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 53(3), pages 631-647, November.
- Grosse, Robert & Fonseca, Alejandro, 2012. "Learning Through Imports in the Internationalization Process," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 366-378.
- Sargent, John & Matthews, Linda, 2006. "The drivers of evolution/upgrading in Mexico's maquiladoras: How important is subsidiary initiative?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 233-246, September.
- Sargent, John & Matthews, Linda, 2008. "Capital Intensity, Technology Intensity, and Skill Development in Post China/WTO Maquiladoras," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 541-559, April.
- Sargent, John & Matthews, Linda, 2009. "China versus Mexico in the Global EPZ Industry: Maquiladoras, FDI Quality, and Plant Mortality," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1069-1082, June.
- Marta Dos Reis Castilho & Marta Menéndez & Aude Sztulman, 2018. "Poverty And Inequality Dynamics In Manaus: Legacy Of A Free Trade Zone?," Anais do XLIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 44th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 212, ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³s-GraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Mollick, André Varella, 2009. "Employment Responses of Skilled and Unskilled Workers at Mexican Maquiladoras: The Effects of External Factors," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 1285-1296, July.
- Zheng, Jianghuai & Gao, Yanyan, 2009. "The nature of economic development zones in China:an empirical study based on data from the Yangtze River Delta," MPRA Paper 33141, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:32:y:2004:i:12:p:2015-2030. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .