Logistics network and externalities for short sea transport: An analysis of horticultural exports from southeast Spain
This paper discusses the benefits of using short sea shipping in intermodal transport for fruit and vegetables. Multi-Criteria Decision Making techniques are applied to determine optimal allocation between land and intermodal transport, including environmental externalities. A sensitivity analysis is also carried out to monitor changing priorities among decision-makers (exporters) so as to encourage a modal shift. The results reveal savings in intermodal transport costs and a slight reduction in externalities with respect to land transport. However, the exporter must assume an increased delivery time of goods. At present, this situation is far from a reality, highlighting how inherently complicated it is to change the modes of transport.
Volume (Year): 24 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fichtner, John, 1986. "On deriving priority vectors from matrices of pairwise comparisons," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 341-345.
- Gomez-Limon, J. A. & Berbel, J., 2000. "Multicriteria analysis of derived water demand functions: a Spanish case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 49-72, January.
- Tamiz, Mehrdad & Jones, Dylan & Romero, Carlos, 1998. "Goal programming for decision making: An overview of the current state-of-the-art," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 569-581, December.
- Forman, Ernest & Peniwati, Kirti, 1998. "Aggregating individual judgments and priorities with the analytic hierarchy process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 165-169, July.
- Klose, Andreas & Drexl, Andreas, 2005. "Facility location models for distribution system design," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 4-29, April.
- Das, S. K. & Goswami, A. & Alam, S. S., 1999. "Multiobjective transportation problem with interval cost, source and destination parameters," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 100-112, August.
- Nash, Chris & Sansom, Tom & Still, Ben, 2001. "Modifying transport prices to internalise externalities: evidence from European case studies," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 413-431, July.
- Ana C. Paixão Casaca & Peter B. Marlow, 2005. "The competitiveness of short sea shipping in multimodal logistics supply chains: service attributes," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 363-382, October.
- Ana C Paixão Casaca & Peter B Marlow, 2007. "The Impact of the Trans-European Transport Networks on the Development of Short Sea Shipping," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 9(4), pages 302-323, December.
- Easley, Robert F. & Valacich, Joseph S. & Venkataramanan, M. A., 2000. "Capturing group preferences in a multicriteria decision," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 73-83, August.
- Osleeb, Jeffrey P. & Ratick, Samuel J., 1983. "A mixed integer and multiple objective programming model to analyze coal handling in New England," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 302-313, March.
- Yoram Wind & Thomas L. Saaty, 1980. "Marketing Applications of the Analytic Hierarchy Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 641-658, July.
- Alfred J Baird, 2004. "Investigating the Feasibility of Fast Sea Transport Services," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 6(3), pages 252-269, September.
- Berbel, J. & Rodriguez-Ocana, A., 1998. "An MCDM approach to production analysis: An application to irrigated farms in Southern Spain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 108-118, May.
- Current, John & Min, Hokey & Schilling, David, 1990. "Multiobjective analysis of facility location decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 295-307, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:24:y:2012:i:c:p:188-198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.