Theoretical analysis on the variation of value of travel time savings
This paper theoretically examines whether and how the value of travel time savings changes with the travel and individual socio-economic environments. A time allocation model for the general case of travel behavior is proposed following a review of basic theories of the value of time. Under some general assumptions, changes of value of travel time savings with travel time, travel cost, wage rate, and work time are examined by the comparative static analysis. Differences between the variation of the value of travel time savings and value of time as a resource are also discussed. The results provide the variation mechanisms of the value of time and verify some of the results of empirical studies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vickrey, William S, 1969. "Congestion Theory and Transport Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 251-60, May.
- Noland, Robert B. & Small, Kenneth A. & Koskenoja, Pia Maria & Chu, Xuehao, 1997.
"Simulating Travel Reliability,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt30w220k0, University of California Transportation Center.
- David A. Hensher, 2001. "Measurement of the Valuation of Travel Time Savings," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 35(1), pages 71-98, January.
- Evans, Alan W, 1972. "On the Theory of the Valuation and Allocation of Time," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 19(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Sergio Jara-Díaz, 2003. "On the goods-activities technical relations in the time allocation theory," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 245-260, August.
- Small, Kenneth A, 1982. "The Scheduling of Consumer Activities: Work Trips," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 467-79, June.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 1998. "Accommodating variations in responsiveness to level-of-service measures in travel mode choice modeling," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 495-507, September.
- de Donnea, F. X., 1972. "Consumer behaviour, transport mode choice and value of time: Some micro-economic models," Regional and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 355-382, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:38:y:2004:i:8:p:551-571. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.