Evaluating optimal multi-hub networks in a deregulated aviation market with an application to Western Europe
This paper develops, evaluates and ultimately aids in the choosing of an optimal, single allocation, hub-and-spoke network for an airline working in a deregulated market. An integer linear program evaluates potential hub network combinations, whose profits are then determined using a non-linear mathematical program. International gateway airports and regional hubs, profit, frequency and aircraft size are the decision variables. An adapted, conjugate-gradient projection algorithm is developed and the models are subsequently applied to Western Europe.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Encaoua, D. & Moreaux, M. & Perrot, A., 1992. "Demand-Side Network Effect in Airline Markets," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 92.28, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Hasan Pirkul & David A. Schilling, 1998. "An Efficient Procedure for Designing Single Allocation Hub and Spoke Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages S235-S242, December.
- Dennis W. Carlton & William M. Landes & Richard A. Posner, 1980. "Benefits and Costs of Airline Mergers: A Case Study," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 65-83, Spring.
- Vladimir Marianov & Daniel Serra & Charles Revelle, 1997.
"Location of hubs in a competitive environment,"
Economics Working Papers
227, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 1996. "A note on optimal airport pricing in a hub-and-spoke system," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 11-18, February.
- Skorin-Kapov, Darko & Skorin-Kapov, Jadranka & O'Kelly, Morton, 1996. "Tight linear programming relaxations of uncapacitated p-hub median problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 582-593, November.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 1995. "Airline Network Rivalry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 836-57, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:35:y:2001:i:5:p:373-390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.