Evaluating optimal multi-hub networks in a deregulated aviation market with an application to Western Europe
This paper develops, evaluates and ultimately aids in the choosing of an optimal, single allocation, hub-and-spoke network for an airline working in a deregulated market. An integer linear program evaluates potential hub network combinations, whose profits are then determined using a non-linear mathematical program. International gateway airports and regional hubs, profit, frequency and aircraft size are the decision variables. An adapted, conjugate-gradient projection algorithm is developed and the models are subsequently applied to Western Europe.
Volume (Year): 35 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marianov, Vladimir & Serra, Daniel & ReVelle, Charles, 1999.
"Location of hubs in a competitive environment,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 363-371, April.
- Vladimir Marianov & Daniel Serra & Charles Revelle, 1997. "Location of hubs in a competitive environment," Economics Working Papers 227, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hasan Pirkul & David A. Schilling, 1998. "An Efficient Procedure for Designing Single Allocation Hub and Spoke Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages 235-242, December.
- Dennis W. Carlton & William M. Landes & Richard A. Posner, 1980. "Benefits and Costs of Airline Mergers: A Case Study," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 65-83, Spring.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 1995. "Airline Network Rivalry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 836-857, November.
- Encaoua, D. & Moreaux, M. & Perrot, A., 1992. "Demand-Side Network Effect in Airline Markets," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 92.28, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 1996. "A note on optimal airport pricing in a hub-and-spoke system," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 11-18, February.
- Skorin-Kapov, Darko & Skorin-Kapov, Jadranka & O'Kelly, Morton, 1996. "Tight linear programming relaxations of uncapacitated p-hub median problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 582-593, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:35:y:2001:i:5:p:373-390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.