Carrier Network Structures and the Spatial Distribution of Air Traffic in the European Air Transport Market, 1996-2006
This paper characterises and compares the spatial distribution of air traffic in the US and Europe across the network of airports for both continents for the period 1996 to 2006, using annual airline schedules from the Official Airline Guide databases. Several measures of traffic concentration are presented. By decomposing the overall spatial distribution of traffic, aspects of individual airline behaviour may be measured and contrasted, along with measures of multi-market contact among groups of carriers. European and US airlines are characterised in terms of their network strategies and the extent of network competition that they face.
Volume (Year): 97 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January-February)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brueckner, Jan K & Spiller, Pablo T, 1994. "Economies of Traffic Density in the Deregulated Airline Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 379-415, October.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1994. "Economic distance and overlapping of distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 147-159, March.
- Reynolds-Feighan, Aisling, 2001. "Traffic distribution in low-cost and full-service carrier networks in the US air transportation market," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 265-275.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1984. "A note on the calculation and interpretation of the Gini index," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 363-368.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Pels, Eric, 2005.
"European airline mergers, alliance consolidation, and consumer welfare,"
Journal of Air Transport Management,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 27-41.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Eric Pels, 2004. "European Airline Mergers, Alliance Consolidation, and Consumer Welfare," CESifo Working Paper Series 1154, CESifo Group Munich.
- Milanovic, Branko & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 2001.
"Decomposing world income distribution : does the world have a middle class ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2562, The World Bank.
- Milanovic, Branko & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 2002. "Decomposing World Income Distribution: Does the World Have a Middle Class?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(2), pages 155-78, June.
- Burghouwt, Guillaume & Hakfoort, Jacco & Ritsema van Eck, Jan, 2003. "The spatial configuration of airline networks in Europe," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 309-323.
- Evans, William N & Kessides, Ioannis N, 1994. "Living by the "Golden Rule": Multimarket Contact in the U.S. Airline Industry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 341-66, May.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Whalen, W Tom, 2000. "The Price Effects of International Airline Alliances," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 503-45, October.
- Adler, Nicole & Berechman, Joseph, 2001. "Evaluating optimal multi-hub networks in a deregulated aviation market with an application to Western Europe," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 373-390, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rpo:ripoec:v:97:y:2007:i:1:p:243-. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.