An Efficient Procedure for Designing Single Allocation Hub and Spoke Systems
Given the widespread use of the hub and spoke network architecture and its growing importance to competitiveness in logistics, communication, and mass transportation, there has been considerable interest by practitioners and researchers alike in finding efficient methods for designing such networks. This paper provides a method that delivers both high quality solutions and firm measures of that quality, and allows problems to be solved in reasonable time on a desktop computer. The approach begins with a previously proposed tight linear programming formulation and uses subgradient optimization on a lagrangian relaxation of the model. However, to dramatically improve the performance of this approach, we augment a subproblem of the lagrangian relaxation model with a cut constraint. In computational experiments on eighty-four standard test problems, average gaps are 0.048%. Maximum gaps are under 1% while average solution times on a Pentium-166 are under five minutes.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 12-Part-2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aykin, Turgut, 1994. "Lagrangian relaxation based approaches to capacitated hub-and-spoke network design problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 501-523, December.
- Morton O'Kelly & Darko Skorin-Kapov & Jadranka Skorin-Kapov, 1995. "Lower Bounds for the Hub Location Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(4), pages 713-721, April.
- Skorin-Kapov, Darko & Skorin-Kapov, Jadranka & O'Kelly, Morton, 1996. "Tight linear programming relaxations of uncapacitated p-hub median problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 582-593, November.
- Hasan Pirkul & David A. Schilling, 1991. "The Maximal Covering Location Problem with Capacities on Total Workload," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(2), pages 233-248, February.
- Marshall L. Fisher, 1981. "The Lagrangian Relaxation Method for Solving Integer Programming Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Skorin-Kapov, Darko & Skorin-Kapov, Jadranka, 1994. "On tabu search for the location of interacting hub facilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 502-509, March.
- Mirchandani, Pitu B. & Oudjit, Aissa & Wong, Richard T., 1985. "`Multidimensional' extensions and a nested dual approach for the m-median problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 121-137, July.
- Bazaraa, Mokhtar S. & Goode, Jamie J., 1979. "A survey of various tactics for generating Lagrangian multipliers in the context of Lagrangian duality," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 322-338, July.
- Hasan Pirkul & David A. Schilling, 1988. "The Siting of Emergency Service Facilities with Workload Capacities and Backup Service," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(7), pages 896-908, July.
- Klincewicz, J. G., 1991. "Heuristics for the p-hub location problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 25-37, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:44:y:1998:i:12-part-2:p:s235-s242. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.