Hub-and-spoke network alliances and mergers: Price-location competition in the airline industry
This paper presents a framework to analyze global alliances and mergers in the airline industry under competition. The framework can help airlines identify partners and network structures, and help governments predict changes in social welfare before accepting or rejecting proposed mergers or alliances. The research combines profit-maximizing objectives to cost-based network design formulations within a game theoretic framework. The resulting analysis enables merging airlines to choose appropriate international hubs for their integrated network based on their own and their competitors' costs and revenues in the form of best response functions. The results of an illustrative example suggest that some mergers may be more successful than others and optimal international gateway choices change according to the number of competitors remaining in the market. Furthermore, although the pressure on airlines would suggest a strong preference for mergers or alliances, perhaps surprisingly, the solution outcomes whereby all airlines merge or ally are not equilibria in the overall game.
Volume (Year): 41 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2000. "A note on the optimality of airline networks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 429-434, December.
- Chang, Yu-Chun & Williams, George, 2002. "European major airlines' strategic reactions to the Third Package," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 129-142, April.
- Marianov, Vladimir & Serra, Daniel & ReVelle, Charles, 1999.
"Location of hubs in a competitive environment,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 363-371, April.
- Button, Kenneth, 2002. "Debunking some common myths about airport hubs," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 177-188.
- Caplin, Andrew & Nalebuff, Barry, 1991.
"Aggregation and Imperfect Competition: On the Existence of Equilibrium,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 25-59, January.
- Andrew Caplin & Barry Nalebuff, 1990. "Aggregation and Imperfect Competition: On the Existence of Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 937, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bhaumik, P. K., 2002. "Regulating the domestic air travel in India: an umpire's game," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 33-44, February.
- Park, Jong-Hun & Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2001. "Analytical models of international alliances in the airline industry," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 865-886, November.
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 2000. "Airline network structure under demand uncertainty," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 173-180, September.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Spiller, Pablo T, 1994. "Economies of Traffic Density in the Deregulated Airline Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 379-415, October.
- Adler, Nicole & Berechman, Joseph, 2001. "Evaluating optimal multi-hub networks in a deregulated aviation market with an application to Western Europe," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 373-390, June.
- Swan, William M. & Adler, Nicole, 2006. "Aircraft trip cost parameters: A function of stage length and seat capacity," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 105-115, March.
- Skorin-Kapov, Darko & Skorin-Kapov, Jadranka, 1994. "On tabu search for the location of interacting hub facilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 502-509, March.
- Fan, Terence & Vigeant-Langlois, Laurence & Geissler, Christine & Bosler, BjÃ¶rn & Wilmking, Jan, 2001. "Evolution of global airline strategic alliance and consolidation in the twenty-first century," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 349-360.
- Nero, Giovanni, 1999. "A note on the competitive advantage of large hub-and-spoke networks," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 225-239, December.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Spiller, Pablo T., 1991. "Competition and mergers in airline networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 323-342, September.
- Hong, Sungwook & Harker, Patrick T., 1992. "Air traffic network equilibrium: Toward frequency, price and slot priority analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 307-323, August.
- Ebery, Jamie, 2001. "Solving large single allocation p-hub problems with two or three hubs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 128(2), pages 447-458, January.
- Adler, Nicole, 2001. "Competition in a deregulated air transportation market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 337-345, March.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Yimin Zhang, 2001. "A Model of Scheduling in Airline Networks: How a Hub-and-Spoke System Affects Flight Frequency, Fares and Welfare," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 35(2), pages 195-222, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:41:y:2007:i:4:p:394-409. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.