Assessing the Influence of the Physical Sports Facility on Customer Satisfaction within the Context of the Service Experience
It can be argued that customer satisfaction is at the centre of the marketing concept, and strategic planning of physical facilities has been found to influence consumer satisfaction. Considering the spectator sport industry has experienced a tremendous boom in the building of facilities, a better understanding of how facilities influence customers is warranted. A sample of 218 minor league ice hockey spectators was used to investigate the influence of individual physical facility elements on customer satisfaction, and to investigate the influence of the physical facility relative to other targets of quality, namely the core product and service personnel. Multiple regression analysis revealed that facility elements together predicted customer satisfaction (R2 = 0.183, adjusted R2 = 0.162), but that the attributes of the facility had little impact individually. Hierarchical regression analysis revealed that both perceptions of service personnel and of the physical facility contributed to customer satisfaction over and above the impact of customers' perceptions of the core product. Based on these results, it is argued that managers must address the physical facility in combination with other targets of quality to improve spectators' levels of customer satisfaction.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chelladurai, Packianathan & Chang, Kyungro, 2000. "Targets and Standards of Quality in Sport Services," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, May.
- Bernhardt, Kenneth L. & Donthu, Naveen & Kennett, Pamela A., 2000. "A Longitudinal Analysis of Satisfaction and Profitability," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 161-171, February.
- John J. Siegfried & Andrew Zimbalist, 2000. "The Economics of Sports Facilities and Their Communities," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 95-114, Summer.
- Eugene W. Anderson & Mary W. Sullivan, 1993. "The Antecedents and Consequences of Customer Satisfaction for Firms," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(2), pages 125-143.
- Oliver, Richard L, 1993. " Cognitive, Affective, and Attribute BAses of the Satisfaction Response," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 418-30, December.
- Westbrook, Robert A & Oliver, Richard L, 1991. " The Dimensionality of Consumption Emotion Patterns and Consumer Satisfaction," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 84-91, June.
- Hill, Brad & Christine Green, B., 2000. "Repeat Attendance as a Function of Involvement, Loyalty, and the Sportscape Across Three Football Contexts," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 145-162, November.
- Grossbart, Sanford & Hampton, Ronald & Rammohan, B. & Lapidus, Richard S., 1990. "Environmental dispositions and customer response to store atmospherics," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 225-241, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spomar:v:5:y:2002:i:2:p:129-148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.