Analysing fair trade in economic terms
We identify the fair trade network as the generation of a market where special social, relation-related product attributes play a dominant role. The analysis shows that price-competitiveness with respect to these social product attributes would increase both efficiency and fairness of the network. In addition, it may be appropriate for governments to issue import restrictions based on social criteria similar to fair trade standards.
Volume (Year): 37 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620175|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Altman, Morris, 2005. "The economics of ethics revisited and importance of economics: A response to the critics," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 774-778, October.
- Laura Raynolds, 2000. "Re-embedding global agriculture: The international organic and fair trade movements," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer;The Agriculture, Food, & Human Values Society (AFHVS), vol. 17(3), pages 297-309, September.
- Elliott, David, 1999. "Prospects for renewable energy and green energy markets in the UK," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1268-1271.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2006:i:33:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert M. Hutchens, 1993. "Avoiding a Future of Unemployment and Low Wages: What Opportunities Are Open to Young Unskilled Workers?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_100, Levy Economics Institute.
- Dennis Yanchus & Xavier de Vanssay, 2003. "The Myth of Fair Prices: A Graphical Analysis," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 235-240, January.
- Morris Altman, 2006. "Opening-up the objective function: choice behavior and economic and non-economic variables—core and marginal altruism," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(33), pages 1-7.
- P. De Pelsmacker & L. Driesen & G. Rayp, 2003. "Are fair trade labels good business ? Ethics and coffee buying intentions," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/165, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Mann, Stefan, 2003. "Why organic food in Germany is a merit good," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5-6), pages 459-469.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceco:v:37:y:2008:i:5:p:2034-2042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.