Offtaking agreements and how they impact the cost of funding for project finance deals: A clinical case study of the Quezon Power Ltd Co
Offtaking agreements are an important risk transfer mechanism in project finance. However, they can also be thought of as a trade-off between lower market and higher counterparty risks. We use the case of the Quezon Power Ltd Co. to test the effect of higher counterparty risk on the cost of funding. Results indicate that the spread of Quezon's bond and counterparty risk are positively correlated when risk is represented by the daily volatility of the offtaker's stock returns. We also find an inverse relation between the rating upgrades of the offtaker and the spread paid by Quezon Power.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hand, John R M & Holthausen, Robert W & Leftwich, Richard W, 1992. " The Effect of Bond Rating Agency Announcements on Bond and Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 733-752, June.
- Benjamin C. Esty, 2001. "Structuring Loan Syndicates: A Case Study Of The Hong Kong Disneyland Project Loan," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 14(3), pages 80-95.
- Yener Altunbas & Blaise Gadanecz, 2004.
"Developing Country Economic Structure and the Pricing of Syndicated Credits,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(5), pages 143-173.
- Yener Altunbas & Blaise Gadanecz, 2003. "Developing country economic structure and the pricing of syndicated credits," BIS Working Papers 132, Bank for International Settlements.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Leftwich, Richard W., 1986. "The effect of bond rating changes on common stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 57-89, September.
- Shah, Salman & Thakor, Anjan V., 1987. "Optimal capital structure and project financing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 209-243, August.
- Salman Shah & Anjan V. Thakor, 2004. "Optimal Capital Structure and Project Financing," Finance 0411041, EconWPA.
- Stefano Gatti & Alvaro Rigamonti & Francesco Saita & Mauro Senati, 2007. "Measuring Value-at-Risk in Project Finance Transactions," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(1), pages 135-158.
- Benjamin C. Esty, 2004. "Why Study Large Projects? An Introduction to Research on Project Finance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 10(2), pages 213-224.
- Stefanie Kleimeier & William L. Megginson, 2000. "Are Project Finance Loans Different From Other Syndicated Credits?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 13(1), pages 75-87.
- Dennis, Steven A. & Mullineaux, Donald J., 2000. "Syndicated Loans," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 404-426, October.
- Esty, Benjamin C. & Megginson, William L., 2003. "Creditor Rights, Enforcement, and Debt Ownership Structure: Evidence from the Global Syndicated Loan Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 37-60, March.
- Dailami, Mansoor & Hauswald, Robert, 2007. "Credit-spread determinants and interlocking contracts: A study of the Ras Gas project," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 248-278, October.
- Yescombe, E. R. & Yescombe, E. R., 2002. "Principles of Project Finance," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780127708515.
- Richard A. Brealey & Ian A. Cooper & Michel A. Habib, 1996. "Using Project Finance To Fund Infrastructure Investments," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(3), pages 25-39.
- Hainz, Christa & Kleimeier, Stefanie, 2006. "Project Finance as a Risk-Management Tool in International Syndicated Lending," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 183, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Blanc-Brude, Frederic & Goldsmith, Hugh & Valila, Timo, 2007. "Ex Ante Construction Costs In The European Road Sector: A Comparison Of Public-Private Partnerships And Traditional Public Procurement," Economic and Financial Reports 2006/1, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Dailami, Mansoor & Hauswald, Robert, 2003. "The emerging project bond market - covenant provisions and credit spreads," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3095, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:revfin:v:19:y:2010:i:2:p:60-71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.