Evaluating innovative processes in french firms: Methodological proposition for firm innovation capacity evaluation
Measuring innovation processes is a major concern for academics and firm managers. This study proposes an innovation capacity (IC) measure framework based on a set of 15 innovation management practices. Every practice is subdivided into multiple criteria which are directly observable phenomena or facts. The statistical method of value test and a multi-criteria approach are adopted to propose a typology of four groups of innovative firms (proactive, preactive, reactive, passive). The features observed on these groups of firms allow the determination of the firms’ innovation capacity and are useful for providing recommendations and practical actions for them, with a view to reinforcing it. Data from a sample group of 39 small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in the manufacturing industry in Lorraine, France were collected via a field survey and were fed into the model to determine the innovation capacity of the companies.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romijn, Henny & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2002. "Determinants of innovation capability in small electronics and software firms in southeast England," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1053-1067, September.
- Pantzalis, Christos & Park, Jung Chul, 2009. "Equity market valuation of human capital and stock returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1610-1623, September.
- Leandro Cañibano & Manuel García-Ayuso & M. Sánchez, 2000. "Shortcomings in the Measurement of Innovation: Implications for Accounting Standard Setting," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 4(4), pages 319-342, December.
- Yam, Richard C. M. & Guan, Jian Cheng & Pun, Kit Fai & Tang, Esther P. Y., 2004. "An audit of technological innovation capabilities in chinese firms: some empirical findings in Beijing, China," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1123-1140, October.
- Jaakko Simonen & Philip McCann, 2007.
"Firm Innovation: The Influence Of R&D Cooperation And The Geography Of Human Capital Inputs,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
29-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Simonen, Jaakko & McCann, Philip, 2008. "Firm innovation: The influence of R&D cooperation and the geography of human capital inputs," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 146-154, July.
- Arundel, Anthony, 2001. "The relative effectiveness of patents and secrecy for appropriation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 611-624, April.
- Hagedoorn, John & Cloodt, Myriam, 2003. "Measuring innovative performance: is there an advantage in using multiple indicators?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1365-1379, September.
- Tseng, Fang-Mei & Chiu, Yu-Jing & Chen, Ja-Shen, 2009. "Measuring business performance in the high-tech manufacturing industry: A case study of Taiwan's large-sized TFT-LCD panel companies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 686-697, June.
- Guan, Jian Cheng & Yam, Richard C.M. & Mok, Chiu Kam & Ma, Ning, 2006. "A study of the relationship between competitiveness and technological innovation capability based on DEA models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(3), pages 971-986, May.
- Brattström, Anna & Löfsten, Hans & Richtnér, Anders, 2012. "Creativity, trust and systematic processes in product development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 743-755.
- Fabrizio, Kira R., 2009. "Absorptive capacity and the search for innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 255-267, March.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:43:y:2014:i:3:p:608-622. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.