Marine current energy devices: Current status and possible future applications in Ireland
There is a growing demand for the use of renewable energy technologies to generate electricity due to concerns over climate change. The oceans provide a huge potential resource of energy. Energy extraction using marine current energy devices (MCEDs) offers a sustainable alternative to conventional sources and a predictable alternative to other renewable energy technologies. A MCED utilises the kinetic energy of the tides as opposed to the potential energy which is utilised by a tidal barrage. Over the past decade MCEDs have become an increasingly popular method of energy extraction. However, marine current energy technology is still not economically viable on a large scale due to its current stage of development. Ireland has an excellent marine current energy resource as it is an island nation and experiences excellent marine current flows. This paper reviews marine current energy devices, including a detailed up-to-date description of the current status of development. Issues such as network integration, economics, and environmental implications are addressed as well as the application and costs of MCEDs in Ireland.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Alegría, Iñigo Martínez & Martín, Jose Luis & Kortabarria, Iñigo & Andreu, Jon & Ereño, Pedro Ibañez, 2009. "Transmission alternatives for offshore electrical power," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1027-1038, June.
- Coffen-Smout, Scott & Herbert, Glen J., 2000. "Submarine cables: a challenge for ocean management," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 441-448, November.
- Charlier, Roger H., 2003. "A "sleeper" awakes: tidal current power," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 515-529, December.
- Leijon, Mats & Bernhoff, Hans & Berg, Marcus & Ågren, Olov, 2003. "Economical considerations of renewable electric energy production—especially development of wave energy," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1201-1209.
- Grabbe, Mårten & Lalander, Emilia & Lundin, Staffan & Leijon, Mats, 2009. "A review of the tidal current energy resource in Norway," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 1898-1909, October.
- Huber, Claus & Ryan, Lisa & O Gallachoir, Brian & Resch, Gustav & Polaski, Katrina & Bazilian, Morgan, 2007. "Economic modelling of price support mechanisms for renewable energy: Case study on Ireland," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 1172-1185, February.
- Bryden, Ian G. & Couch, Scott J., 2006. "ME1—marine energy extraction: tidal resource analysis," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 133-139.
- Bahaj, A.S. & Molland, A.F. & Chaplin, J.R. & Batten, W.M.J., 2007. "Power and thrust measurements of marine current turbines under various hydrodynamic flow conditions in a cavitation tunnel and a towing tank," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 407-426.
- Denny, Eleanor, 2009. "The economics of tidal energy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1914-1924, May.
- Sun, X. & Chick, J.P. & Bryden, I.G., 2008. "Laboratory-scale simulation of energy extraction from tidal currents," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1267-1274.
- Pelc, Robin & Fujita, Rod M., 2002. "Renewable energy from the ocean," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 471-479, November.
- Bryden, I.G & Naik, S & Fraenkel, P & Bullen, C.R, 1998. "Matching tidal current plants to local flow conditions," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 699-709.
- Lee, M.Q. & Lu, C.N. & Huang, H.S., 2009. "Reliability and cost analyses of electricity collection systems of a marine current farm--A Taiwanese case study," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 2012-2021, October.
- Khan, M.J. & Iqbal, M.T. & Quaicoe, J.E., 2008. "River current energy conversion systems: Progress, prospects and challenges," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(8), pages 2177-2193, October.
- Batten, W.M.J. & Bahaj, A.S. & Molland, A.F. & Chaplin, J.R., 2006. "Hydrodynamics of marine current turbines," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 249-256.
- Schönborn, Alessandro & Chantzidakis, Matthew, 2007. "Development of a hydraulic control mechanism for cyclic pitch marine current turbines," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 662-679.
- Mirasgedis, S. & Diakoulaki, D. & Papagiannakis, L. & Zervos, A., 2000. "Impact of social costing on the competitiveness of renewable energies: the case of Crete," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 65-73, January.
- Kiho, S. & Shiono, M. & Suzuki, K., 1996. "The power generation from tidal currents by darrieus turbine," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1242-1245.
- Snyder, Brian & Kaiser, Mark J., 2009. "Ecological and economic cost-benefit analysis of offshore wind energy," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1567-1578.
- Gross, Robert, 2004. "Technologies and innovation for system change in the UK: status, prospects and system requirements of some leading renewable energy options," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(17), pages 1905-1919, November.
- Shields, Mark A. & Dillon, Lora Jane & Woolf, David K. & Ford, Alex T., 2009. "Strategic priorities for assessing ecological impacts of marine renewable energy devices in the Pentland Firth (Scotland, UK)," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 635-642, July.
- Rourke, Fergal O. & Boyle, Fergal & Reynolds, Anthony, 2009. "Renewable energy resources and technologies applicable to Ireland," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 1975-1984, October.
- Garrett, Chris & Cummins, Patrick, 2008. "Limits to tidal current power," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2485-2490.
- Weisser, Daniel, 2004. "On the economics of electricity consumption in small island developing states: a role for renewable energy technologies?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 127-140, January.
- Hwang, In Seong & Lee, Yun Han & Kim, Seung Jo, 2009. "Optimization of cycloidal water turbine and the performance improvement by individual blade control," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(9), pages 1532-1540, September.
- Bahaj, A.S. & Batten, W.M.J. & McCann, G., 2007. "Experimental verifications of numerical predictions for the hydrodynamic performance of horizontal axis marine current turbines," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(15), pages 2479-2490.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:14:y:2010:i:3:p:1026-1036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.