A review of the tidal current energy resource in Norway
As interest in renewable energy sources is steadily on the rise, tidal current energy is receiving more and more attention from politicans, industrialists, and academics. In this article, the conditions for and potential of tidal currents as an energy resource in Norway are reviewed. There having been a relatively small amount of academic work published in this particular field, closely related topics such as the energy situation in Norway in general, the oceanography of the Norwegian coastline, and numerical models of tidal currents in Norwegian waters are also examined. Two published tidal energy resource assessments are reviewed and compared to a desktop study made specifically for this review based on available data in pilot books. The argument is made that tidal current energy ought to be an important option for Norway in terms of renewable energy.
Volume (Year): 13 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leijon, Mats & Bernhoff, Hans & Berg, Marcus & Ågren, Olov, 2003. "Economical considerations of renewable electric energy production—especially development of wave energy," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1201-1209.
- Bryden, Ian G. & Couch, Scott J., 2006. "ME1—marine energy extraction: tidal resource analysis," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 133-139.
- Clarke, J.A. & Connor, G. & Grant, A.D. & Johnstone, C.M., 2006. "Regulating the output characteristics of tidal current power stations to facilitate better base load matching over the lunar cycle," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 173-180.
- Charlier, Roger H., 2007. "Forty candles for the Rance River TPP tides provide renewable and sustainable power generation," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(9), pages 2032-2057, December.
- Bahaj, A.S. & Myers, L., 2004. "Analytical estimates of the energy yield potential from the Alderney Race (Channel Islands) using marine current energy converters," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 1931-1945.
- Garrett, Chris & Cummins, Patrick, 2008. "Limits to tidal current power," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2485-2490.
- Blunden, L.S. & Bahaj, A.S., 2006. "Initial evaluation of tidal stream energy resources at Portland Bill, UK," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 121-132.
- Sathiamoorthy, M. & Probert, S.D., 1994. "The integrated Severn barrage complex: Harnessing tidal, wave and wind power," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 17-46.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:13:y:2009:i:8:p:1898-1909. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.