Tidal energy update 2009
Tidal energy has the potential to play a valuable part in a sustainable energy future. It is an extremely predictable energy source, depending only on the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun and the centrifugal forces created by the rotation of the earth-moon system. Tidal energy has been exploited on a significant scale since the construction of the La Rance tidal barrage in France in 1967. A tidal barrage utilises the potential energy of the tide and has proven to be very successful, despite opposition from environmental groups. Kinetic energy can also be harnessed from tidal currents to generate electricity and involves the use of a tidal current turbine. This is the more desired method of capturing the energy in the tides. However, tidal current turbine technology is currently not economically viable on a large scale, as it is still in an early stage of development. This paper provides an up-to-date review of the status of tidal energy technology and identifies some of the key barriers challenging the development of tidal energy. The future development of tidal current devices and tidal barrage systems is discussed as well as examining the importance of a supportive policy to assist development.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 87 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charlier, Roger H., 2003. "A "sleeper" awakes: tidal current power," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 515-529, December.
- Chaineux, Marie-Claire & Charlier, Roger H., 2008. "Women's tidal power plant Forty candles for Kislaya Guba TPP," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(9), pages 2515-2524, December.
- ., 2008. "Trade Strategy and Economic Development," Chapters,in: Trade Liberalisation and The Poverty of Nations, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Charlier, Roger H., 2003. "Sustainable co-generation from the tides:: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 187-213, June.
- Takenouchi, K. & Okuma, K. & Furukawa, A. & Setoguchi, T., 2006. "On applicability of reciprocating flow turbines developed for wave power to tidal power conversion," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 209-223.
- Bryden, Ian G. & Couch, Scott J., 2006. "ME1—marine energy extraction: tidal resource analysis," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 133-139.
- ., 2008. "Can Foreign Aid Promote Development?," Chapters,in: Institutions and Development, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Sun, X. & Chick, J.P. & Bryden, I.G., 2008. "Laboratory-scale simulation of energy extraction from tidal currents," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1267-1274.
- Xiaobo Zhang & Li Xing & Shenggen Fan & Xiaopeng Luo, 2008.
"Resource abundance and regional development in China,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 16(1), pages 7-29, 01.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Xing, Li & Fan, Shenggen & Luo, Xiaopeng, 2007. "Resource abundance and regional development in China:," IFPRI discussion papers 713, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Chukwu, G.O & Nwosu, K.I & Madu, T.U & Chinaka, C & Okoye, B.C, 2008. "Development of Gocing Storage Method for Cocoyam," MPRA Paper 17444, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carley, Sanya, 2009. "State renewable energy electricity policies: An empirical evaluation of effectiveness," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3071-3081, August.
- Lipp, Judith, 2007. "Lessons for effective renewable electricity policy from Denmark, Germany and the United Kingdom," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5481-5495, November.
- do Valle Costa, Claudia & La Rovere, Emilio & Assmann, Dirk, 2008. "Technological innovation policies to promote renewable energies: Lessons from the European experience for the Brazilian case," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 65-90, January.
- Charlier, Roger H., 2007. "Forty candles for the Rance River TPP tides provide renewable and sustainable power generation," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(9), pages 2032-2057, December.
- Gross, Robert, 2004. "Technologies and innovation for system change in the UK: status, prospects and system requirements of some leading renewable energy options," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(17), pages 1905-1919, November.
- Payment and Settlement Systems Department, 2008. "Recent Developments in Electronic Money in Japan," Bank of Japan Research Papers 2008-10-01, Bank of Japan.
- Nalan, Çiçek Bezir & Murat, Öztürk & Nuri, Özek, 2009. "Renewable energy market conditions and barriers in Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1428-1436, August.
- Sathiamoorthy, M. & Probert, S.D., 1994. "The integrated Severn barrage complex: Harnessing tidal, wave and wind power," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 17-46.
- Grabbe, Mårten & Lalander, Emilia & Lundin, Staffan & Leijon, Mats, 2009. "A review of the tidal current energy resource in Norway," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 1898-1909, October.
- Denny, Eleanor, 2009. "The economics of tidal energy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1914-1924, May.
- Clarke, J.A. & Connor, G. & Grant, A.D. & Johnstone, C.M., 2006. "Regulating the output characteristics of tidal current power stations to facilitate better base load matching over the lunar cycle," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 173-180.
- Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS),, 2008. "South Asia Development and Cooperation Report 2008," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195699425.
- Roberts, F., 1982. "Energy accounting of river severn tidal power schemes," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 197-213, July.
- Kiho, S. & Shiono, M. & Suzuki, K., 1996. "The power generation from tidal currents by darrieus turbine," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1242-1245.
- Baker, Clive, 1991. "Tidal power," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 792-797, October.
- -, 2008. "Capital flows to Latin America: recent developments," Oficina de la CEPAL en Washington (Estudios e Investigaciones) 28865, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Ozturk, Murat & Bezir, Nalan Cicek & Ozek, Nuri, 2009. "Hydropower-water and renewable energy in Turkey: Sources and policy," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 605-615, April.
- Rourke, Fergal O. & Boyle, Fergal & Reynolds, Anthony, 2009. "Renewable energy resources and technologies applicable to Ireland," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 1975-1984, October.
- van Alphen, Klaas & Kunz, Huden S. & Hekkert, Marko P., 2008. "Policy measures to promote the widespread utilization of renewable energy technologies for electricity generation in the Maldives," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(7), pages 1959-1973, September.
- -, 2008. "Capital flows to Latin America: recent developments," Oficina de la CEPAL en Washington (Estudios e Investigaciones) 36748, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:87:y:2010:i:2:p:398-409. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.