Are homes hot or cold potatoes? The distribution of marketing time in the housing market
This paper analyzes how the distribution of marketing time of residential real estate evolves across time. Using real estate data from a large suburb in the Washington D.C. area we first show that the whole distribution of marketing time shifts to the right when a “hot” housing market in 2003 is compared with a “cold” one in 2007. The shift, however, is not homogenous across the distribution: it is negligible at lower percentiles, very large at the median and much smaller at higher percentiles. Moreover, the shift in the distribution cannot be explained by changes in the characteristics of the units. We then compute (quality adjusted) time on the market distributions and hazard functions for each year during the period 1997 to 2007. We find that while there are no changes at the bottom of the (conditional) distribution over time, higher percentiles, such as the first quartile and the median, are notably more volatile. We also find that the distribution of marketing time is heterogeneous across property types and property location. The focus on the distribution of marketing time rather than solely on the mean or on the median provides a comprehensive description of the evolution of this asset's liquidity and may help homeowners and financial institutions to better grapple with liquidity risk.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albrecht, James & Björklund, Anders & Vroman, Susan, 2001.
"Is There a Glass Ceiling in Sweden?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
282, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Honore, Bo & Khan, Shakeeb & Powell, James L., 2002. "Quantile regression under random censoring," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 67-105, July.
- David Genesove & Christopher Mayer, 2001.
"Loss Aversion And Seller Behavior: Evidence From The Housing Market,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1233-1260, November.
- David Genesove & Christopher Mayer, 2001. "Loss Aversion and Seller Behavior: Evidence from the Housing Market," NBER Working Papers 8143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Genesove & Christopher Mayer, . "Loss Aversion and Seller Behavior: Evidence from the Housing Market," Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers 323, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Genesove, David & Mayer, Christopher, 2001. "Loss Aversion and Seller Behaviour: Evidence from the Housing Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 2813, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Mathias G. Sinning, 2009.
"Neighborhood Diversity and the Appreciation of Native- and Immigrant-Owned Homes,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
624, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Sinning, Mathias G., 2011. "Neighborhood diversity and the appreciation of native- and immigrant-owned homes," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 214-226, May.
- Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Sinning, Mathias, 2009. "Neighborhood Diversity and the Appreciation of Native- and Immigrant-Owned Homes," IZA Discussion Papers 4464, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Mathias G. Sinning, 2009. "Neighborhood Diversity and the Appreciation of Native- and Immigrant-Owned Homes," Ruhr Economic Papers 0137, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Nguyen, Binh T. & Albrecht, James W. & Vroman, Susan B. & Westbrook, M. Daniel, 2007.
"A quantile regression decomposition of urban-rural inequality in Vietnam,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 466-490, July.
- Binh Nguyen & James Albrecht & Susan Vroman & Daniel Westbrook, 2003. "A Quantile Regression Decomposition of Urban-Rural Inequality in Vietnam," Working Papers gueconwpa~03-03-31, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Springer, Thomas M, 1996. "Single-Family Housing Transactions: Seller Motivations, Price, and Marketing Time," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 237-54, November.
- Han Bin Kang & Mona J. Gardner, 1989. "Selling Price and Marketing Time in the Residential Real Estate Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(1), pages 21-35.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "The Role of the List Price in Housing Markets: Theory and an Econometric Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 115-29, April-Jun.
- Daniel P. McMillen, 2003. "Neighborhood house price indexes in Chicago: a Fourier repeat sales approach," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 57-73, January.
- Leibbrandt Murray & Levinsohn James A & McCrary Justin, 2010. "Incomes in South Africa after the Fall of Apartheid," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-62, January.
- Nicolai V. Kuminoff & Jaren C. Pope, 2013. "The Value of Residential Land and Structures during the Great Housing Boom and Bust," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 89(1), pages 1-29.
- McMillen, Daniel P., 2008. "Changes in the distribution of house prices over time: Structural characteristics, neighborhood, or coefficients?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 573-589, November.
- David Genesove & Christopher J. Mayer, 1993.
"Equity and time to sale in the real estate market,"
93-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- David Genesove & Christopher J. Mayer, 1994. "Equity and Time to Sale in the Real Estate Market," NBER Working Papers 4861, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Genesove, D. & Mayer, C.J., 1994. "Equity and Time to Sale in the Real Estate Market," Working papers 94-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Anglin, Paul M & Rutherford, Ronald & Springer, Thomas M, 2003. "The Trade-Off Between the Selling Price of Residential Properties and Time-on-the-Market: The Impact of Price Setting," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 95-111, January.
- Abdullah Yavas & Shiawee Yang, 1995. "The Strategic Role of Listing Price in Marketing Real Estate: Theory and Evidence," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 23(3), pages 347-368.
- John R. Knight, 2002. "Listing Price, Time on Market, and Ultimate Selling Price: Causes and Effects of Listing Price Changes," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 213-237.
- Donald R. Haurin & Jessica L. Haurin & Taylor Nadauld & Anthony Sanders, 2010.
"List Prices, Sale Prices and Marketing Time: An Application to U.S. Housing Markets,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 659-685, Winter.
- Haurin, Donald R. & Haurin, Jessica L. & Nadauld, Taylor & Sanders, Anthony B., 2006. "List Prices, Sale Prices, and Marketing Time: An Application to U.S. Housing Markets," Working Paper Series 2006-22, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- José Mata & José A. F. Machado, 2005. "Counterfactual decomposition of changes in wage distributions using quantile regression," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 445-465.
- Paul Carrillo & Anthony Yezer, 2008.
"Alternative Measures of Homeownership Gaps Across Segregated Neighboorhoods,"
2008-07, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Carrillo, Paul & Yezer, Anthony, 2009. "Alternative measures of homeownership gaps across segregated neighborhoods," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 542-552, September.
- Marcus Allen & Ronald Rutherford & Thomas Thomson, 2009. "Residential Asking Rents and Time on the Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 351-365, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:42:y:2012:i:1:p:189-197. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.